Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Offside Front Tyre has ply or cords exposed (4.1.D.1b)

Exhaust emits excessive dense blue smoke during acceleration (7.3.A.2c)
Exhaust emissions Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits (7.3.D.3)
Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.D.3)Offside Front Tyre has ply or cords exposed (4.1.D.1b)
Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.D.3)
Assistant: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?
Customer: this is a car I am looking at so I dont know but worred because the tyres have come up several times on the mot plus the emissions are of concern especially as the engine management light is on
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2006 1.8 sport ford focus
Assistant: What year is your Focus?
Customer: dec 2006
Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: havent bought it yet
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 months ago.

Hi there , good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you today

Ok from the description of the tyres it suggests they Are scrubbing on the edges which indicates the tyres should be replaced and a wheel alignment carried out

The emissions issue indicates a possible issue with the catalyst assembly this commonly logs fault code p0420 catalyst efficiency low and would coincide with the engine management light being on

The blue dense smoke is a by present duct of the engine burning oil which can also contribute to catalyst issues

If you need further help or technical assistance on this issue going forward

please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

If you are satisfied with my answer /advice thus far

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER as is how iam

Accredited for my advice and to build my online profile

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice Day

Any positive feedback is kindly appreciated

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Brian thanks for this so the car passed its mot after these things were highlighted but now the management light is on again.
what do you think? Also the tyres came up each year on the mot does that indicate a bigger problem?

Hi there

Ok I would suggest the tyre issue is down to a wheel alignment issue thus the scrubbing on outer or inner edge showing cords

After you replace the front tyres i would have the wheel alignment checked/adjusted to prevent reoccurrence of the tyre wear

The mil light issue is commonly an emissions related fault within the catalyst or oxygen sensors in the exhaust

You need to have a diagnostic fault code check carried out to see what fault code is logged and bringing the mil light on

Most commonly it is a p0420 fault code

The fault code check is imperative to correctly diagnosing this issue

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian