Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli,
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

Ford S Max 2.0 TDCI Year 2006 A couple of days ago while

Customer Question

Ford S Max 2.0 TDCI
Year 2006
A couple of days ago while driving the engine ran away and had to be turned off. It was revving very hard. Stopping it has broken the dmf.
I have removed the gearbox and can see that the DMF is knackered,
Now the questions the output shaft seal behind the flywheel is leaking, it was always leaking a bit but since the runaway it is leaking more. How can I tell if I should just replace the seal or has the bearing on the crankshaft been damaged.Also more importantly what could cause the runaway on this car, I checked for oil in the inter cooler and there was none, I checked the turbo and it has no shaft play nor oil leak. I thought it could be the accelerator pedal but surely if it was this when the brake was applied the reading from the pedal should have been ignored by the ecu. I'm at a loss
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also should add car last had an oil change 6 months ago and the level was fine. I will be checking the PCV tonight
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you have not checked over the engine for any vacuum leaks this needs done.If there is a vacuum leak this can cause this fault with the leak needing repaired.I would have the end of the crank inspected where the seal seats to see if any damage is seen.I would have it also measured to see if it is out of round at all indicating any issues with the crank needing repaired or replaced before replacing the seal.The crank bearings would need inspected with the engine oil pan removed and this should be done as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete