Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli,
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

2013 Transit Mk7 headlights & rear lights stay on with the

Customer Question

2013 Transit Mk7 headlights & rear lights stay on with the ignition on or engine running
Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Yes
Assistant: What is the model of your '13 Ford?
Customer: Transit 100 T300 FWD
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Resetting
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I apologize for any delay.

Did this issue just now start to occur or has it been like this since you have owned the vehicle?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I AM A DEALER & JUST AQUIRED THE VEHICLE

O.k.,some models are set up to illuminate these lights on key on or engine running.There should be a light sensor on the dash or interior mirror that can fail in some cases and will cause these lights to be on all of the time even in the bright sunlight.If the lights are coming on like this even when the vehicle is in an area that is well lit this can be a faulty light sensor at fault needing replaced.Unfortunately my info does not show where this sensor is located.A parts store or dealer can usually tell you where this sensor is located so it can be replaced.It will send an incorrect signal on how much light it sees and causes this fault here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.A 5 star rating is appreciated.Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks but would that cause the rear lights to stay on as well as these are not used in conjunction with the day time running lights? David

Your welcome

Yes it can.The sensor can send a false signal that it is dark out and can turn on the head lights and park lights as if it was night.I have seen this type of sensor fail in the past before needing replaced for this issue here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi. I have spoken to Ford & they don't list any sort of light sensor! Any ideas ? David

They don't show an ambient light sensor at all even in the mirror assembly?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No or in the dash. Nothing listed except the light switch which on this one does not have a day time running option.

O.k.,then the only other reason these would turn on with the key on or engine running is it being programmed to operate this way.I have seen several models operate this way with the computers turning on these lights with the key on or engine running as it was designed to do.If you have another model that is the same check it and see if it acts the same way as I suspect it will with it being normal.

If it does not act the same then what needs to be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool/computer plugged into this vehicle to see what codes are set in all computers in your vehicle then any codes set need diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault.

The only other issue this could be is an internal fault with a body or light ecu needing replaced.But I have seen several models that are designed to light these lights normally with the key on or engine running.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete