Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My wife's fiesta this morning started slowly from cold and

my wife's fiesta this morning started slowly from cold and gave a message "Engine malfunction service now" We serviced the engine ourselves oneyear ago. what could be the problem?
Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No we don't have these tools
Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the Ford Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What year is your Fiesta?
Customer: 2010
Assistant: Are you fixing your Fiesta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have tried no fixes so far.
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

can you tell me what the engine size and fuel type is ? also how many miles are on the car have you checked the fluid levels?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
engine size is 1.6 fuel is diesel. Mileage is 140,00 KM. Yes checked fluid levels on Saturday. The fuel filter was not changed one year ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
engine size is 1.6 fuel is diesel. Mileage is 140,00 KM. Yes checked fluid levels on Saturday. The fuel filter was not changed one year ago. 140,000 km is 87,000 miles
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

thanks for the extra information

I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.
You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

If the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything

Lastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter, even though you've changed it a year ago it only take 1 tank of dirty fuel

as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.