Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli,
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I've got a 2007 Mk7 Transit 2.2TDCi 5 Speed FWD. 130K on the

Customer Question

I've got a 2007 Mk7 Transit 2.2TDCi 5 Speed FWD. 130K on the clock.
Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed a rattle whilst driving which gets worse at higher speeds. The noise got louder towards the end of last week. Accompanying the noise was a vibration in the clutch pedal which also got worse in line with the noise.
Over last weekend I tried to do a bit more digging and as i couldn't hear the noise on tick-over I pushed down on the accelerator to replicate it. When I did this, the engine cut out. I tired to restart and it turns over ok on the starter but sounds like the engine is full of spanners and it seems to lurch around a bit. As soon as i turn the key back off it cuts out.
In May the EGR failed and I replaced that with no issues. The EM lights keeps returning on the dash with three EGR related codes, they return within five minutes of driving after resetting them and it runs and drives fine. I have seen something on a forum suggesting it could be needing a software update from Ford to sort the Em light out.
I have also seen that it could be a loose injector clamp, but I have checked these and also taken the rocker cover off to check that the timing chain hasn't skipped a tooth or two and smashed up the camshaft header - everything seems normal under there.
My intuition is leading me towards the DMF but I've never heard of it causing the engine to seemingly seize before.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have plugged my code reader back in since the cut out and it hasn't thrown any further codes up. I have also detached the silver pipe that goes from the EGR to the inlet manifold to see if the EGR had failed again. Also there was no smoke from the exhaust either in the run up to the failure or when it packed up last friday.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I've stripped out the gearbox today to inspect the DMF and clutch. The clutch seems to have enough wear material left - it is well clear of the rivets.The DMF itself is within the limits of free play for its type (I cant see the existing part number but I have the data for the correct replacement), it's difficult to tell the rock with the tools I have. There is a lot of debris in the DMF itself and the oil seal behind it on the engine casing is showing signs of a leak. The wear face of the DMF is slightly discoloured and has some small signs of pitting in it.When I test the free play it will move over clockwise until i reach the springs, it moves against the springs ok then returns fine. When I move it anti-clockwise it feel an increase in resistance - like hitting the spring but this time it remains in place and doesn't spring back at all.This seems pretty minor to me - would you expect to have such severe symptoms from something that doesn't seem too bad?If you don't think it's the DMF then what should I be looking for next?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I also noticed that there was signs of light scoring on the inside of the transmission bell housing.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Oil leak on engine
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Scoring on inside of transmission bell housing
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Clutch pressure plate
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Clutch
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
DMF
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
DMF clutch side face close up
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Engine side of DMF
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 12 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

The DMF and pressure plate appear to look like they got hot causing scoring on them.The wear on the bell housing looks to appear to have something that had rubbed.This may all be related.I would look into this further to see if anything is found to be causing the heat/scoring as well as the rubbing issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete