Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I won mobile number in shell live 2012 mobile draw in UK. I

Customer Question

I won mobile number in shell live 2012 mobile draw in UK. I would like to claims.Please
advice me how can I do.You sent sms to me this morning.Thank you very much. I am
waiting for your asnwer now.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 years ago.
No, Jacustomer,

You have not won a thing.

First of all, scammers use the names of well known people, products or companies to help make their scams seem believable. Shell is not running a mobile drawing, and if it were a 2012 drawing, you'd have won it in 2012 and not in 2013.

The shell 2012 mobile drawing has been reported as a scam many times. You can see a page of links to so-called "winners" here.

You must enter a contest to win, and a UK contest can only be entered within the UK because international contests are all unlawful. If you didn't buy a ticket and enter in the UK, you can't possibly win a foreign drawing.

There's no such thing as a winner randomly drawn from all of the mobile phone numbers in the world, or all of the emails in the world, or all of the Walmart shoppers, etc. Contests of this sort come under the heading of gambling, and are tightly regulated by the authorities. You must always enter a contest in order to win it.

This is just a phishing SMS message designed to get as much personal identifying information and cash from you as you are willing to hand over trying to get your non-existent "winnings."

If you contact them, they will tell you that the money is yours but in order to collect it you must first wire them some of your own cash. They will claim that is for taxes, transfer fees, insurance, or shipping, but these are all lies there is NEVER a legitimate reason for contest to charge you for your win. It is the number one sign of an advance fee fraud.

Anytime you get a surprise message from a stranger or business with whom you have never dealt, promising you something that is too good to be true but requiring you to send anybody money to collect it, it's a scam. It doesn't matter what they say the money is for, or whether the amount of money they want from you is big or small. There is just no exception to this.

We all get sent these phony promises by mail, email, text messages and phone calls giving us too good to be true news. This site will tell you everything you would need to know to avoid a contest scam. (See link)

Here are the things you must try to remember whenever you get a surprise notice that you're about to become a wealthy person:

-- If you never bought a lottery or a sweepstakes ticket or entered a contest in the first place, there's no way you can win it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There is no exception. Winners aren't chosen at random from all the names in the world, all of the email addresses in the world or all of the mobile phone numbers in the world. You always have to enter a contest in order to win. That's the law. Lotteries and sweepstakes are government regulated and must comply with that.

-- All International lotteries are illegal. No exception to this either. It is unlawful to buy foreign lottery tickets on line. If you didn't travel outside of the country to enter the contest, you can't win it.

-- No legitimate lottery or sweepstakes makes you pay them anything in order for you to collect your winnings. There is NEVER a legitimate reason to pay for a prize that's supposedly already yours. I don't care how reasonable the excuse is. A legitimate business will deduct any transfer fees or expenses on their end and send you the balance, free and clear, with no strings attached. If a prize is really yours, you don't have to pay one red cent to collect it. If there's a charge, it's a scam.

- Any contest that sends you a partial check and asks you to send some part of it back to cover contest costs ia also a scam. There is never an exception to this either. That check will bounce and you will be responsible for the overdraft to your bank.

-- Any unsolicited offer asking you to send money by wire outside of the country is a fraud. Wire transfers abroad are instant, irreversible and untraceable. NEVER send a wire to anyone unless you have met them in person and know them very well.

Do not send any money to these people or give then any personal identifying details about yourself. If you have already paid these frauds any money, you have lost it and you need to report them to your local police. Also because they claim to be operating from the UK, you would want to contact ActionFraud, which is the UK's national anti-fraud agency.

I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news.