Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I want to know about collegiate-ac.com

Customer Question

I want to know about collegiate-ac.com
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

This company appears to be a legitimate UK company.

First of all, it has been on the web March of 2011. Its IP address traces to the UK. It's WHOIS information is public and matches the information the company put on its website. The domain name has been registered through 2023, which indicates a company that intends to be around for the long haul.

Most importantly, all companies in the UK are required to be registered on Companies House, the government agency that keeps the business filings and tax records for all businesses in the UK. Collegiate AC is registered with Companies House, having incorporated in 2011, which corroborates what is on both the website and the WHOIS. Their company # is 07619022 and the given location of the firm matches their site and the company WHOIS.

I find no scam reports about the company. If you are dealing with the actual company whose phone numbers are on their website, you would appear to be dealing with a legitimate business. There's no reason to believe otherwise.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. In fact, my query was not complete. We wanted to transfer money to their bank account for my son's accommodation at their Gateway Apartments, Edinburgh as I could not pay using credit card (my credit card limit is far less). They are asking for entire year's rent in advance and when I asked them to send official pro-forma invoice for making the bank transfer, first it was sent on a white-paper and then when I asked them to send again on letter-head with all the details incorporated, it was sent in a word document which is arising doubts of the sender (may it be individual person or the company). Can you tell me whether the given account number properly belongs to the company and whether I can transfer funds to this number?

Thanks and regards,

Sujata Srinivas.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for clarifying. Unfortunately bank account information is not a matter of public record. However, your bank should be able to verify for you whether the money you are going to send is going to that named account for you if you ask them to do so before you actually send the wire.

You should not send it without knowing for sure it's going where you were told it will go, because wire transfers are irreversible.

If you haven't verified that you have been dealing with the real Collegiate Accommodation you can double-check that you really have reserved a flat via the phone numbers on the company's website.

You might also want to contact the university the student will be attending, and ask if they are aware of Collegiate AC and know of any frauds relating to the advance rental of a flat. I see no evidence of problems with this company on the web, but the school itself may have more information as they certainly must get housing inquiries all the time.