Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Dear sir I have received a telephone call about an inheritance

Customer Question

Dear sir I have received a telephone call about an inheritance from Sdbh bank in Hong Kong the some of money is very very large .but I must go Hong Kong or. A point an attorney for which I have to pay for by bankers draft along passport and bank account details - the name is XXXXX XXXXX same as mine can u advice me yours Mr b Eversfield e [email protected]
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 years ago.

My name is Fran, and I will be assisting you with your question.

I wish I could tell you that your wildest dreams were about to come true, but cannot. This is going to be a scam.

The "same name surname inheritance scam" has been going on for generations. It is the oldest of the West African frauds and precedes the advent of the internet. The Nigerians invented it, the Ghanaians and other high scam countries adopted it, and it's as successful now as it was then.

Scammers make countless phone calls and send thousands of emails and letters out every day in the hope that they find someone who believes he may actually have a missing wealthy relative somewhere and who will take the bait.

If you receive such a message and follow it up you will be told that the money is yours but that you will first have to wire your own money abroad for one reason or another to collect your inheritance. That's exactly what is happening to you. The advance fee is the #1 sign of an inheritance fraud. They will take your money, but the inheritance will never come, because the inheritance is not real in the first place.

Heir's never have to pay a cent to collect an inheritance. The estate pays for its own expense and only after everything is paid out is the remainder distributed to the heirs. You would not get a phone call from a bank about an inheritance. They have nothing to do with inheritances. You would get a letter on official letterhead from the executor of the estate or his lawyer.

Do not send these people your personal identifying information. If you do, they will use it to commit identity theft or to perpetrate further scams in your name.

Ignore all phone calls. The caller will keep lying to you and trying to persuade you and will never admit to being a scammer, so failing to answer his calls is the best course to take.

Any time someone you don't know or some company you have never dealt with contacts you out of the blue to tell you that you have come into a windfall beyond your imagination, but that first you have to pay money out and/or reveal unnecessary sensitive personal information in order to collect it, it's a scam.

The scammers are just hoping to dazzle you with thoughts of the millions which will be coming your way so that they can get to your money.

You can read the history of this scam on Snopes.com.