Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

How do i report an online dating scam ?

Customer Question

How do i report an online dating scam ?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 years ago.

My name is Fran, and I will be assisting you with your question.

You would report him to the dating or social networking site on which he found you, so that they could take his picture and profile down. You could then report his fraud to your police and to Actionfraud at actionfraud.police.uk.

There are also unofficial things you can do to report a scammer, which probably won't help catch a scammer but which at least could warn others:

Run the scammer's photo on Google Search by Image. If it turns up a lot of scam warnings about him, post on those sites and add your voice to the rest of the people so that future victims will know that he is still active. If he has a facebook profile, warn his facebook friends.

Post your story on your own Facebook account and on other social networking sites that you may belong to. if you are embarrassed to admit to this or concerned about liability, then post his photo and your story anonymously on sites like Romancescam.com, Scamwarners.com, Scamdex.com and others in that vein that you can find. Yahoo has a group for romance scam victims that gets pretty wide exposure. You have to join it but once you do, you can post there as well.

Sometimes you can find yourself networking and exchanging notes with others who were scammed by the same person, which will give you more information to give to the authorities so that they can find him.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have you run any checks on him at all ?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 years ago.

I don't even know who "he" is. You did not ask me to check into anyone. This question simply asked how to report a dating scam, which I have told you.

If you have a new question, you must post it as a new question and provide enough information so that it can be answered.