Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I purchased the 1centfbclicks project ($997 USD)which was on

Customer Question

I purchased the 1centfbclicks project ($997 USD)which was on offer by a guy called Jani G. This project involved putting adverts on Facebook.
After taking ages to provide the service, (I paid for them to set it up for me) I now find that Facebook won`t run the adverts. So there is a problem. Jani G and his team did produce the adverts, but they are not being accepted by Facebook.
I e-mailed Jani G and asked for my money back as only part of what they provided was done , but the whole project overall doesn`t work. He finally agreed and sent me an e-mail on 7/12/13 to say he will give me a refund. He is now backing down on this and is unlikely to pay. I have given him one week to refund me (until Friday 13th Dec.). I have this refund offer in writing via e-mail from him. I bought the project via PayPal. Do you know if I can pursue this in any way, or what my rights are? I think he may not be residing in the UK, but maybe in the far east somewhere.Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.

My name is Fran, and I will be assisting you with your question.

While you have legal remedies available to you, they are much abbreviated when you are dealing with someone who is outside of your own country. That's because dealing with a foreign company puts him squarely outside of the reach of your law and your consumer protective agencies when something like this happens. Remedies can therefore be expensive, which, when the loss is relatively small in the first place, means it can cost you more to get satisfaction than for you to just walk away and write off your loss as one of those unfortunate life lessons.

If you know where you can actually find this person you can sue him, but if you bring suit in the UK, while you may get a judgment, it is apt to be expensive to mount against a foreign defendant and you'd still need the foreign court to enforce any judgment the UK court makes, which is not a given.

You could also sue him in his home country, which eliminates that enforcement of a judgment problem but means finding a reliable lawyer over there to take charge of this for you. You could find a reputable lawyer over there by going through your Embassy there, as they keep lists of legal professionals to assist their countrymen who get in legal difficulties while abroad. In that way, you know you'll have a vetted lawyer licensed to practice in that country.

For that matter, you could retain a lawyer over there just for the limited purpose of sending this person a strong letter threatening legal action if he doesn't take immediate steps to resolve your difficulty.

But it does all come down to knowing where this person actually is before you can legally hold him accountable, since, unfortunately, PayPal's Protection services which would normally allow you to get reimbursed for something that was not as described if you lodge your complaint within 45 days, applies only to goods and not services. Paypal likely has the data you need to find him, but for privacy reasons, they will require a court order before they release the address of the person who provided you services.

I'm really sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but again, when you go outside of your own country, your options aren't all that good.