Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Hi ive been in contact wth a spiritual healer as he convinced

Customer Question

Hi ive been in contact wth a spiritual healer as he convinced me I was spiritually effect n as I was at breaking point in my life I went along wth him only 2 realised he took nearly £ 3000 from me and promised I would gt well.. but in reality no his just lied about everything n knw doesnt want 2 knw..whr can I report smething like tht as he was a fraud
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your question.

I am very sorry to hear that some predator took advantage of you at a vulnerable time in your life.

You need to report the fraud to your local police and to Actionfraud.police.uk. Your only chance of getting your money back is if law enforcement can find him and bring him to justice. Then you could sue him or have him prosecuted.

He has his own website, you will want to report this as well to his hosting service and let them know that he is using his website to commit fraud. They should take down his site.

If he is not in the UK, let me know and I will tell you where else you can report him. Use the reply tab below to respond.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi fran yes u took advantage of me.. no he is nt from uk he is from India.. his website is on google.. wht action can I take? N my concern is will smeone take me seriously?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.

It's sad, but the overwhelming majority of scammers get away with their crime. That's because they don''t generally use real names or have any real contact information. This makes it very difficult for law enforcement to bring the scammer to justice.

There's also a problem in that scammers prey on people from a different country. That's deliberate, because UK law enforcement has no jurisdiction anywehre else but in the UK, so the best your authorities will be able to do is to notify the Indian authorities about your complaint. It will be up to India as to whether to pursue this and, frankly, because serving the interests of victims outside of India will not be a high priority for law enforcement, nothing may get done at all.

It's not exactly that your complaints won't be taken seriously. Authorities are painfully aware of just how many people are severely injured by internet frauds. It's that law enforcement doesn't have the means and manpower to deal with all the reports that they get, at least not in a time frame that's most useful to the victim.

So apart from prioritizing this matter for yourself by hiring a private investigator in India to locate this person so that you can sue him or have him prosecuted, and/or contacting your Embassy or Consulate over there to get the name of a reliable lawyer to assist you in the filing and pressing of charges, and reporting him to various anti-scam sites to help warn others, there's not much more that you can do than I've already told you in my first post.

I'm sorry for being the bearer of bad news. If you can find this person you have legal remedies, but getting to him is your biggest problem. And this is the harsh reality of internet scam.

This is precisely what makes scams so terrible. To get his website taken down, go to scamadviser.com and type the web address into their search box. You will be able to get from the results the name and address of his website's owner, webhost and server. You can send complaints to all of them.