Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I got scammed via a 419 gold scam via a lady i met online,

I got scammed via a 419 gold scam via a lady i met online, from Accra Ghana. I lost a packet. Can she be prosecuted?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Can you tell me a bit more about the actual scam - what happened?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i been in contact with a lady called Rachel Bailey for six months. First she lost her passport. I got her a new one. Then drivers license. Promises of love...

looking back i was seriously stupid

then she set me up to get her a work visa

and then she set me up for a Gold scam...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

u online?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Out of the blue, i was told she had an inheritance from her late father...

a it was a very clever long plot...

deposit box at Merchant bank...

100 kg gold bars...stored for sixteen years...which first had charges for storage to be paid...then testing of the gold...then the sale...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok let me know when u ready to chat further...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i am still waiting a reply...assume something went wrong...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi ....can u let me know what further info you exactly need.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your question.

All experts in the Fraud Examiner category are very familiar with this scam. It may look unique to you, but in fact the story of the on line romance who needs your money to claim her inheritance in Ghana or Nigeria is one we hear several times every day. None is the real thing.

Ghana is 6th in the world when it comes to internet crime, and the romance scam is their specialty. Romance scam is so popular there that their movie superheros are romance scammers. There is also even a very popular religion based on romance scamming. You can see this documentary to learn what I mean.

Ghana is also a very poor country, where the average citizen makes only the equivalent of $200 USD/year. So scam is big business in Ghana. As you will see from the video I linked you too, teenagers fund their college education in Ghana via romance scamming, and the woman you have been communicating will very likely be a group of teenage boys and the woman herself only a paid employee.

Scam does great things for Ghana's economy, as you can imagine. That makes it very difficult for Ghanaian scammers to get caught because their own police turn a blind eye to the problem. Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of internet romance scammers get completely away with their crime.

If you haven't done so already and you have sent these thieves money, you need to report it to your local police and to Actionfraud.co.uk. They have no jurisdiction in Ghana, which is why scammers always prey on folks outside of their own country, but they can alert the appropriate Ghanaian authorities and give them your evidence.

If you want to slow down the scammers, you can also report her to the various sites on the web that expose scammers such as Pigbusters.com, Romancescam.com, Scamwarners.com, Scamdex.com and any others in that vein that you can find. Yahoo has a group for romance scam victims that gets pretty wide exposure. You have to join it but once you do, you can post there as well.

Sometimes by posting on these sites, you can find yourself networking and exchanging notes with others who were scammed by the same person, which can get you more information about your scammer to turn over to your authorities.

And yes, to get back to your question, you can sue or prosecute. It's more difficult and more expensive to do so from another country and you'd be better off finding a lawyer in Ghana to assist you with this. To make sure that your lawyer is really licensed to practice in Ghana (another popular scam in Ghana is to represent yourself as a lawyer when you are not, just to get the fees) you would want to contact the UK Embassy or Consulate in Accra. They should have a list of lawyers that they know to be reliable and who they recommend to your countrymen who are abroad in Ghana and need legal assistance. That way, your recommendation is coming from the most reputable source that you can get.

Your biggest problem may turn out to be that all of the information your scammer has given you will be false. Finding your scammer is often the biggest impediment, since today's technology allows them to falsify absolutely every piece of identifying information you can think of. And you cannot sue or prosecute someone who could be anyone at all, anywhere in the world.

If you hit that wall, you would have to avail yourself of the services of a private investigator in Ghana, and again, you have to take pains to ensure that you are dealing with a legitimate detective agency. Frequently scammers contact former victims pretending to be just such an agency, but it is just another means to steal your money all over again. So once again, go through the Embassy or Consulate and if they don't know of investigators, then ask a reputable lawyer there who should.

Good luck!
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989