Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Would it be classed as fraud to knowingly tell a customer that

Would it be classed as fraud to knowingly tell a customer that a vehicle he is hiring is fully fueled (dash gauge) when you know it is not (tank level). Then fully fuel the vehicle tank when the customer returns it?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your question.

Yes, it would be a fraudulent misrepresentation to deliberately tell a customer that you are hiring him out a vehicle with a full tank of gas when you know that this is not true.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou Fran for a speedy reply.

I find myself placed in the above situation as an employee for a large rental company. I do not agree with it in any form. I believe the tank should be refilled after every rental and the customer billed as such.

As the vehicles are not correctly checked in after rent the fuel gauge my show full but the tank can be short of upto 80 litres of fuel.

After a heated talk with a manager about this issue ive been told to go off the gauge and ignore the tank even though I have check it. It can not be right to do this and I find myself at the risk of being disciplined.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave,

Thinking about this, I'm going to opt out and move this question into UK Employment law, because that's what this real issue here has turned out to be.

I'm a US lawyer, and while I can recognize fraud, I don't know your rights as an employee in the UK.

I will have to call upon customer service to move this question which may take time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Fran for your help, the company is international including US, but you are right that it is better dealt with in the UK. The disciplinary is not the issue here, I just wanted to confirm what is happening is wrong. I will not disclose any info gained here.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
Yes, what's happening here is definitely wrong. But if you wanted to explore your own liability in case a legal claim arises on this issue, you'd need to hear that from a UK lawyer.
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989