Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

A friend has been giving money to a family in Uganda for the

A friend has been giving money to a family in Uganda for the past few years and, when he told me about it today, I was convinced it is a scam.

He originally received a handwritten letter from Namuli Proscovia (or Prossy) who apparently has HIV, is widowed and has 3 children. They send occasional letters - some typed and some handwritten - and photos of the children.

The address that the money gets sent to is a PO Box in Kampala.

I think my friend is being conned but would like some hard evidence when I tell him of my concerns. Can you help?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your question.

While scams of this nature go on all of the time, especially from African countries, it's not possible to tell anything about the legitimacy of this person based on the information that you are providing.

There is no data base on which one can determine the legitimacy of a person anywhere in the world by virtue of just his name and country of origin. If you told me how your friend met this person, if you had photos I could check out, if there were samples of correspondence, particularly when she asked for money, I might be able to turn up some concrete proof of scam. Otherwise, this looks like a hands-on job for a Uganda private investigator.

Use the reply tab below if you can give any additional information or have photos.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My friend set up a charity to raise money for what he believes is a legitimate cause including a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TheNamuliProssyFoundation

On this page are copies of the letters and photos which have been sent to him.

I hope this is helpful.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.

I've looked through the photos, and the only thing I can say is that they were not downloaded from elsewhere on the web. As for the letters they are not typical of the scam pattern. For one thing, they are not filled with emergencies and desperation. For another, she rarely comes out and flat out asks for money.

The only very suspicious thing that I see is that last month a woman of the same name in Uganda was short listed for a government position with the Ministry of Internal Affairs. Maybe it's a common name?

I'm going to opt out and see if anyone else can take a stab at it. Right now, I'm simply unsure.

Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989