Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I BELIEVE I AM BEING CONNED INTO A MARRIAGE IN GHANA WHICH

Customer Question

I BELIEVE I AM BEING CONNED INTO A 'MARRIAGE' IN GHANA WHICH I DO NOT HAVE TO ATTEND BUT I CAN BE REPRESENTED. IT WAS ARRANGED SO SAY TO PROTECT THE LADY FROM BEING TREATED BADLY WHEN SHE ARRIVED IN THE UK. BY GETTING MARRIED THE CERTIFICATE COULD BE ATTACHED TO THE VISA (TRAVEL DOC'S) TO ENSURE SHE HAD THE RIGHT TO STAY. THE LADY (A CAUCASIAN BY THE WAY) HAS TOLD ME THAT SHE HAS A PASSPORT THAT WOULD GIVE HER TRAVELLING RIGHTS TO THE UK FOR 6 MONTHS DURING WHICH TIME IF THINGS WERE RIGHT, MARRIAGE WISE, WE COULD HAVE MADE DIFFERENT ARRANGEMENTS.

AS YET I HAVE STILL NOT SPOKEN TO HER, SO SAY BECAUSE OF TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES, SEEN PHOTOS, I HAVE ASKED FOR THE VIDEO TO BE USED WHILE WE TALK WHICH WAS DECLINED. TODAY AN IMMINENT PAYMENT IS NEEDED TO PAY FOR THE MARRIAGE CEREMONY. £4000

THERE HAS BEEN A LONG TRAIL OF HER GETTING HERE, TALK OF GOLD, STORAGE CHARGES OF IT AND AFTER THIS FORTHCOMING CEREMONY SHE IS COING TO THE UK. IF YOU NEED ANY MORE INFORMATION PLEASE ASK.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your question.

People who ask a question like this -- and we get many every day -- are being swindled by a Ghana romance scammer who is counting on you to help her release her gold "inheritance," usually supposedly in some storage company somewhere. Frequently the terms of her so-called inheritance is that she must be engaged or married to a good man, that man, of course, being you.

Generally, scammers who talk of transferring gold will make their victims pay for so called legal expenses by dazzling them with an array of forged documents showing that the gold exists and is being put into your name. If it hasn't started already, you'll be led to believe you'll get the girl and her fortune. But there really is no gold and the girl and her so-called lawyer and so-called storage company will be working together to fleece you.

Though she is telling you that marriage would protect her in the UK, that's nonsense. The UK does not recognize proxy marriages, so this marriage would have no validity under British law. The only real purpose of this "marriage" would be to make you feel duty-bound to keep paying and paying and paying and paying and paying and paying to solve an endless array of problems with the girl and her gold, neither of which get one inch closer to the plane to the UK.

The reason you haven't seen a video or that you haven't heard a voice is that if you did you would know that the woman you are thinking of spending your life with does not exist, and you are communicating with someone very different who is not who, what or where you think they are. Which means that this "marriage" wouldn't even be valid in Ghana since the woman does not really exist.

Tiny Ghana is 6th in the world when it comes to internet fraud. So if a woman from Ghana reaches out ot you on a dating or social networking site and comes on strong rushing into talk of love and marriage, the odds of her being a scammer is almost 100%. Once she asks you for gifts or money, it IS 100%. The gift/money request is the #1 tell-tale sign of a scammer. It's just not something that real people do.

Scam is very big business in Ghana where the average Ghanaian makes less than $400/year. If a scammer gets just a couple of thousand from every victim, she's on easy street for a long time. The Ghanaian police have their hands full with violent crimes and for the most part leave the scammers alone.

Scammers are probably helping Ghana's economy. But it's gotten so where a simple formula is all you need to know these days to determine whether or not you've got a scammer: Internet Romance + Ghana + gift or money request = scam. Each and every time. The odds of someone being legitimate when she has already been hitting you up for gifts or money are nil.

Even Ghana's own Immigration Service has a whole scam section on their website to serve as warning to outsiders about Ghanaian romance scams. The photos may show beautiful women and they may appear sexy and sweet but they are not who and what you think they are and are actually quite ruthless. They will take your last dime if they can get it.

It is typical for scammers to lie about their names and places of birth, and just about everything else that could help you to verify them. So the way to discover a scammer is not by her name but by the course of the relationship since no matter who, what and where she says she is, all of these romance scams are remarkably similar.

Scammers follow a script because the formula works. There are differences in timing. Some move quickly. Others can take a year or more to gain your trust. But the con game is always the same: get you to trust and care so they can steal your money. That's the only thing this is about on their side of the "relationship."

Here are the signs of a romance scam:

- the scammer reaches out to you on a dating or social networking website and she falls in love with you at first sight.

- She moves in on you and rushes the relationship towards some kind of a commitment. She pulls you off the site where you met and tells you that she wants an exclusive relationship with you via webcam, skype, Yahoo messenger, etc. She flirts with you, seduces you and teases you sexually, especially when she is talking about gifts and money.

- She frequently claims to be a citizen of your country but for one reason or another has usually ended up in Ghana, Nigeria or Malaysia.

- And as soon as she knows that she's got you all really hot and interested, she starts asking for things or money. She wants to see you but she will need plane tickets and/or a visa, and a Declaration fee or a Basic Travel Allowance. (no such thing) But then after you've paid all that, she'll have an emergency that keeps her from getting on that plane -- a car accident on the way to the airport. A legal problem with an inheritance from her late father or mother or with her job. A mugging and a trip to the hospital. A dying mother/father/sister/brother/self who can't pay hospital bills. An arrest at Customs for trying to smuggle out gold bars to give to you. These are just some of the most popular excuses. There are many others. You can see a whole list of these excuses on this page. It is not a complete list, but you will find at least some of the excuses she has made to you on that list.

No matter what the phony excuse, however, she will say that you're her only hope to solve her problems. And all of her problems will cost you money. A lot of it.

- She will want the money wired via Western Union or MoneyGram, which has no protection for the sender. It's like throwing your money away.

Once she starts asking for gifts or money, You can bet that she's not who and what you think she is. She's a group of thieves, almost always men, sitting at an internet cafe somewhere overseas, working together to rob too trusting, good hearted men and women such as yourself of all of their money. If there really is a woman that you can see and speak to live, she's a paid shill of the scammers. If you send her money, she'll come up with another emergency to ask you for more. And another. And another until you catch wise or go broke, whichever happens first.

If any of this sounds familiar, and I already know it does, walk away fast. Don't give her a chance to keep manipulating you, and don't sent her another penny of your money

I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but think with your head and not with your heart here. This story doesn't add up at all. Cease all contact and report her to your police and to Actionfraud.police.uk
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for this answer, very helpful indeed.

Unfortunately I had already sent most of the money off previously and had just paid what I regarded as the final payment. The ceremony, which took place over three days and ended 16th March.

She is now saying that it is vitally important that she gets her ring which she has identified and wants me to send the cash, you've guessed it by WU.

They are supposed to be sending me a Certificate of Marriage for me to sign, it was indicated that photos were taken of the ceremony. I am not going to send any more money unless the Certificate proves to be authentic and the person is who she says she is. Which is why I am demanding to see the photos.

I do know that the photos being used on her profile is that of DanielleFTV, I have confronted her with that fact and after devising a questionnaire asking her for lesser known facts about her, she passed it with flying colours.

I guess what I am asking 'is there a way of finding out if a ceremony took place and is there a way of proving the authenticity of the Certificate and how to go about that. Would you mind if I sent you a copy for your opinion. That is of course if I ever receive it and or the photos.

Thanks again

Brian T

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
YOU ARE NOT MARRIED. This so-called "ceremony" did not take place. Any documents you get are forgeries. You don't even know who the bride is and what she really looks like or if she even exists at all. Your country does not recognize this "marriage." This marriage is legall unenforceable.

Don't let them scam you into being obligated to support some thief for life! Cease all contact with these folks. They are just trying to steal your money and there is nothing you can do if you sever contact except to make noise and threats that cannot be carried out.

Have nothing further to do with these people. NOTHING. It will all go away. You can't be sued. You can't be prosecuted. And you are NOT married.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have forwarded two emails for your attention if you would be so kind as to look at them and give me your opinion.

[email protected]>They were sent using your return address fya.

Mike XXX is supposed to be the Uncle as the Lady had lost her father and was the 'arranger' of the ceremony.

Jannie XXXX is the lady in question.

KindestXXXXX

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a "return address" and I will not be getting the documents you sent. You replied to an auto-generated email from JA and your attachments will go into cyberspace.

If you want to send me documents you can send them as an attachment to customer service [email protected] I'd ask you to include a photo of her, but you already know that the photo belongs to someone else.

In the end, the documents will not matter. You cannot be married by proxy and have this marriage validated even with your consent. You are not married. Period. You are not a Ghanaian, and even if a ceromony took place over there, which I doubt, it is not binding where you are. You can call the British Embassy or Consulate over in Ghana and ask them about this.

They will know this scam too!

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
Sorry. I know you don't want to believe me, but you're just another person who has fallen for a scammer who has lured you with a photo of a famous porn star. (see link)

Here's what a real Ghana marriage certificate looks like. (See link)

IT'S ALL A SCAM!
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Zoey,,,,,,,,,,,I have just rec'd an e mail from the so called family lawyer named Mike Magrath his telephone number is included in the e mail. The e mail sets out how she should receive her inheritance.

The person I am writing to calls herself Jannie Alvin, She admits to being DanielleFTV AKA Danielle Delaunay and Genevieve all under the banner of the FTV stable.

You might recognise that because her stable mate is Raven Riley you referred to in your last mail regarding the so called wedding photos. I am still skyping, e mailing on occasions and have a telephone number for Jannie Alvin her mobile 00 233 24 749 9022 together with a New Jersey telephone number of a.phone she has used in Ghana so say belonging to Aunt visiting her in ghana after the so called ceremony 1 856 432 0293

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
You need to walk away from her as she is a fake. She's not who and what you think she is. You are wasting your time to say nothing of your money and your emotions.

There is no lawyer named Mike Magrath who is licensed to practice law in Ghana. It's just one more lie. You can see the names of all licensed attorneys here. This list comes directly from the Ghana Bar Association which licenses Ghana lawyers.

You are not dealing with a porn star and a friend of Raven Riley's. You are likely dealing with a group of teenage boys who are hiding behind the photo of a sexy woman. Ghanaian teenagers work their way through school running romance scams on Westerners. Romance scams are so popular that in Ghana movies, romance scammers are heroes. There is even a religion based on romance scamming in Ghana. You can see the documentary video about this here. It starts off slowly, but you'll see how popular and profitable romance scamming is for kids in Ghana.

You don't want to believe me, and that's your call. But you will never meet this woman. She doesn't exist in Ghana. And there is absolutely nothing you can say about her at this point that will change my mind. All of the hallmarks of the scam are there.