Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Dear Fran, ( For attention of Zoey.JD) I thought that I

Customer Question

Dear Fran, ( For attention of Zoey.JD)

I thought that I would update you about the matter relating to Own Gold LLC. You may recall tha tyou helped investigate this company for me at the end of last year. I have recently come across a USA homeland security web link that shows the company is likely to be fraudulent and the CEO and associated staff are being indicted as such. Mr Craig Nelson is a name of one of the perpertrators listed on the indictment as below:

4 indicted in international fraud scheme involving the sale of gold

TAMPA, Fla. – An indictment was unsealed Monday charging four individuals with multiple counts of conspiracy, conspiracy to commit money laundering, money laundering and mail and wire fraud. The charges resulted from an investigation by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), the U.S. Secret Service, the City of London Police and the Spanish National Police.

Naadir Cassim, 38, of Barcelona, Spain, and Orlando; Jon Craig Nelson, 67, of Houston; Michael Skillern, 47, of Houston; and Adriana Maria Camargo, aka Adriana Palomino, 36, of Barcelona; each face up to five years in prison on the conspiracy count, 20 years in prison on the money laundering conspiracy count, 20 years in prison for each mail fraud and wire fraud count, and 10 years in prison for each money laundering count. Per the indictment, if convicted, the individuals will forfeit a bank account, a vehicle and investments which are traceable to proceeds of the offense. The defendants also face a monetary judgment for the proceeds of the charged criminal conduct.

According to the indictment, from August 2011 through at least February 2014, the defendants and others, engaged in a fraud scheme where they directed and caused the sale of purported, but nonexistent gold ore or gold doré from mines owned or controlled by them, through a company called Own Gold LLC. The conspirators’ victims were located both inside and outside of the United States, including the United Kingdom. To facilitate the scheme, the conspirators recruited, instructed, supported and paid telemarketers to place unsolicited calls to potential and existing victims outside the United States, from boiler rooms. The telemarketers employed high-pressure and misleading sales techniques when promoting the nonexistent gold ore or gold doré. The indictment further alleges that Cassim, Nelson, Skillern, Camargo and others then caused victims to wire their funds from the United Kingdom and elsewhere, to bank accounts controlled by the defendants. The conspirators used the victims' funds to perpetuate the scheme and for their own personal enrichment.

If you invested in gold ore or gold doré through a company called Own Gold LLC, you could be a victim. Please send an email [email protected] Reference "Cassim" in the subject line of the email.

An indictment is merely a formal charge that a defendant has committed a violation of the federal criminal laws, and every defendant is presumed innocent unless, and until, proven guilty.

I was wondering if I can ask you to act on my behalf to try and recover the loss of monies I have paid to this company. What would your costs be to act as my lawyer. I invested the total sum of £6680.01 pound sterling to buy gold from this company. I have already sent an e-mail [email protected] about being a UK victim of this fraud. Is it likely that I will receive any money back?
Yours Sincerely
Rod Collin
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.

Hello again!

Thank you for the update regarding Own Gold. I see the information has made our news as well, but I hadn't had any occasion to look for it, as yours was the last inquiry I'd received about this company.

Whether you will get your money back is going to depend upon how many people were defrauded by Own Gold, by how much, and how much money the various defendants still have. But if the government has found the illegal assets and frozen them, you should ultimately be able to recover something. You've done the right thing by responding to the notice and you can follow the course of the prosecution, which will probably take some time. This is only the indictment phase.

Unfortunately, this matter involves US Federal law and a Federal district of this country into which I am not admitted to practice, so I cannot represent you in this matter. If you've alerted the Federal government through the email address they provided, your interest in this matter will be known and that's about all you can do right now. At some point down the road when there has been a judgment, you can get back to me and I will assist you in finding counsel.

This is good news for you, however. I'm very pleased to hear it.

Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
This is the email address I have found over here. The one you used is Xd out, so I can't read it. Is this the same one?

[email protected]
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Fran
Yes, that is the same address which I used, and my e-mail was returned to my inbox as 'demon failure could not be delivered'

I am confused

Rod

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
I have a feeling that there may be a mistake in the address. See if this one works:

[email protected]

Otherwise, you could ask the Department of justice at [email protected] or call them at (202) 514- 2000
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Fran

I have e-mailed my concerns about my personal gold purchase from Own Gold and have sent the details to the new address you have given, so far I have not had a message to say it has failed to be delivered so fingers crossed it hopefully has been received. I did ask if they could reply so that I would know that my e-mail had been received by them as an acknowlegment. If I hear nothing soon from them by e-mail then I will try telephoning using the number you have suggested.

Thanks again

Rod Collin

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
Good luck, Rod.

We hear of so many frauds where people do not get their money back because law enforcement can't find the perpetrators to stop them. So it's refreshing to hear of one where the alleged culprits were found.

I hope you get your money back.

Fran