Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

an old friend of mine keeps paying money into my account. I

an old friend of mine keeps paying money into my account. I have spoken to him and been in touch with my bank, my bank can not stop or block the money so what else can i do please
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your question.

Is this old friend someone you have only known via the internet? Are you concerned that he is using your bank account to launder funds?

Why is he just giving you money? What does he expect you to do with it?

Use the reply tab below to respond.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

His name isXXXXX and 5 years ago he was facing loosing everything and his brother Russ (also my friend) sadly died. I took out a loan over 5 years to help him get back on his feet. over the five years he never defaulted on any payments. In January this year the final loan payment was made. I had previously spoken with him saying that the loan would be paid in full in January and he agreed to contact his bank and have the payments (standing order from his account into mine) stopped. he assured me that he had done it. Two more payments followed and again he assured me that he had stopped the payments, I gave him the cash that he had put into my account. When I last spoke to him about the money going into my account he seemed angry with me for saying that I did not want the money putting into my account. He tried using emotive words etc but despite making me feel very uncomfortable I stood my ground. Anyway I have just checked my account and he has paid in another £160.00! I contacted my bank Stander and there is nothing they can do unless they put a block on my account which will effect all my banking etc. What he wants me to do is pay him £160.00 per month in cash and say nothing (that's what a real friend would do if they cared about a person - what he last said to me). Paula

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
So this person is someone you actually know and have met in person?

Well that much is good. But what I'm concerned about is his request. There's just no legitimate reason for him to do this that way unless he is looking not to report certain monies as income for tax purposes or unless he's got you laundering ill-gotten gains. Either way, it's dodgy and you could find yourself criminally culpable. "Real friends" shouldn't need you to do this.

You can close that account and open up a new one. You can tell him that either he stops or you will take his money out, turn it over to the police for safekeeping and he can get it from them and explain why this is necessary.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What can I say to him so he really gets the message? I recently became aware that he is in a lot of debt and that he is avoiding debt collectors etc.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
Right. It's one thing to help a friend and another to get yourself in a harmful situation. If he's looking to hide cash unlawfully, you don't want to be implicated.

I'd just tell him "no" and open up a new account. Then you can block this one. There may be other more formal steps that you can take. You might want to ask one of our UK solicitors in the UK law category.
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989