Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

for sometime I have been in contact with a lady in Russia 2

for sometime I have been in contact with a lady in Russia 2 now arrangement was made to meet in Manchester airport again 2 and again emailed me with excuses during this period of time she asked for help £470.00 pounds this was for according to her letter to help with making sure the custom control was happy with her having funds available in case of trouble in manchester ie nobody there to meet her? now I receive further letter asking for another 310 pounds this total is now 780 00 pounds =924 82 eruos is this the legal way Russia custom work Charles holmnes
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.

Unfortunately, you have fallen for a romance scam. This woman is never going to meet you. She only wants your money. Any time a person whom you have never established a real-time in person relationship with asks you for money, you are being swindled. There is absolutely no exception to this.

The Russians do not care if she can take care of herself or not in Manchester. That's a UK and not a Russian problem. She is lying to you and she thinks you will believe her because you wouldn't know how Russian Customs works. But this is a very common excuse scammers use to steal money from their victims and has nothing to do with Customs.

As for jewelry, I can assure you as a woman who has brought my jewelry with me each and every time I travel abroad, that customs has no issue with that either.

Here are the signs of a dating scam, so that you can see if they are familiar to you. I already know that they will be:

- the scammer reaches out to you on a dating or social networking website and she falls in love with you at first sight.

- She moves in on you and rushes the relationship towards some kind of a commitment. She pulls you off the site where you met and tells you that she wants an exclusive relationship with you via webcam, skype, Yahoo messenger, etc. She flirts with you, seduces you and teases you sexually, especially when she is talking about gifts and money.

- And as soon as she knows that she's got you all really hot and interested, she starts asking for things or money. She wants to see you but she will need plane tickets and/or a visa, and a Declaration fee or a Basic Travel Allowance. (no such thing) But then after you've paid all that, she'll have an emergency that keeps her from getting on that plane -- a car accident on the way to the airport. A legal problem with an inheritance from her late father or mother or with her job. A mugging and a trip to the hospital. A dying mother/father/sister/brother/self who can't pay hospital bills. An arrest at the airport or a problem with Customs . These are just some of the most popular excuses. There are many others. You can see a very good list of the excuses here.

No matter what the phony excuse, however, she will say that you're her only hope to solve her problems. And all of her problems will cost you money. A lot of it. Despite that, she will never get an inch closer to you in Manchester.

- She will want the money wired via Western Union or MoneyGram, which has no protection for the sender. It's like throwing your money away.

If you have information about her that you think may change my mind, use the reply tab below to give it to me and I will look into this and add to my response. I

If you have a photo of her, you can upload it with your reply and I can see what I can find as well. Here's how you do it.

But don't send her that money! You will lose it.
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello from what you have said more or less is what I thought she is just a thief yes I have photos off her address and full report of the area she lives in plus have friends that live there they are at this moment checking her details with a request to use any information as a thief and scammer and will use the police when ready but I did send a little money £310 00 pounds so that's my fault maybe I could get this back after she realise the amount of trouble she is face with I will not allow her to just simply get away with this we have already contacted the fraud action squad along with other aboard with contacts in the area but what I couldn't understand why when I have all this information on file about her even if we used a moneygram why would she still continue to send emails as regards ***** ***** to Manchester any idea why or is she just silly girl and thinks she is in the clear thanks charles

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
She is not a silly girl at all. She is a ring of thieves, almost all of whom are men. If you have seen a video or spoken to an actual woman, she is an employee of the scammers. They hire her as bait.

What you'll find if you have friends in Russia is that none of the information she has given you will check out. All of her contact information will be lies and because your police have no jurisdiction in Russia (this is why scammers always prey on victims from other countries) and Russia doesn't care about crimes against people in another country, the overwhelming majority of scammers do not get caught.

So yes, she thinks she is in the clear, and as long as you keep talking to her, she will keep trying to convince you to send her money so that she can meet you in Manchester and make you the happiest man in the world. This is what scammers do for a living so they have all of the time in the world to dedicate to trying to change your mind.

That's why it's best to just cease contact.