Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have been talking to a man in the military for sometime .

I have been talking to a man in the military for sometime . We had a proxy marriage as he is on deployment . He has treasure box in Dubai and asked me to be benificiary. Trice bed a certificate today via email. Certificate of deposit with me identified as benificiary. He has asked me to go to Dubai to get the contents and deposit it into my account . To release it I have to give the company $17,500 dollars . Does this sound like a scam or would it be ok. Thankyou
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.

I am sorry to have to tell you that you are the victim of a military scam. He is not who, what or where he says he really is. You are not really married to him, as proxy marriages are not lawful in the UK if one party is a UK resident. I already know that you have never met this man in person, and you never will.

This whole charade is just a way to gull you into paying $17,500. An up front fee to collect money that is already supposedly yours is the #1 sign of a scam.

Romance scams, including military romance scams, are scripted. This is a scenario that we have heard many times before. I urge you not to send $17,500 as you will never see it again.

With what army is he supposedly serving? Do you have a photo of him you can upload to this thread? Here's how.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He says he is serving in the U.S. military.he has told me his account was frozen because scammers were trying to hack into it and he can't access it because he has to be there in person. He said he bought gold and needed to put it in a bank and need 1,800 pounds to do that. Already I have sent him a total of 10,000 pounds for antiques he wanted to buy and for food and different things.how do I send you his photo?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for letting me know he claims to be in the US military.

You know you don't have to be present to get money out of a bank account. And you ought to know that you don't pay the bank a fee to open up an account to make a deposit. You ought to also know that a US soldier gets fed very well, courtesy of the US government.

This man is lying to you.

- US soldiers in a war zone cannot internet date.

- US soldiers in a war zone cannot reveal their actual location.

-- Soldiers in a war zone are not allowed to use mobile phones.

-- They must use their official military email addresses for all communication, and they only get a half hour on line per week for all of their correspondence.

-- They can only send and receive packages via US Military Mail so their locations are not revealed.

All of the above restrictions are required for national security reasons and they get enforced.

There are actually a couple of ways to verify a US soldier, and the first two are 100% foolproof.

1) The first way is to ask him for his official army email address. This is not classified information. A real US soldier may have a classified email address as well, but he also has a regular military email address with which he can write to his friends and family. Every soldier does.When he gives that email address to to you, it should end in @us.army.mil It will NOT end in .com

If it doesn't end in .mil, he is a fake. Only US servicemen can get a .mil email address, and if he can't produce one that you can email him back and forth with, he's scamming you.

2) Get his full name, social security number and date of birth and enter it here on the military's website. This site is an official government site run by the US Armed Forces. It should tell you if this person is or ever was a soldier in the US Armed Forces. If he won't give you the information, then you know he's a scammer, since that information is not classified. It's exactly what he'd be required to reveal if he were ever captured. If he gives you the information but the government site doesn't recognize him, that tells you he's a scammer too.

3) (This one isn't foolproof) Run his photo through Google Search by Image. If that particular photo has been used to scam others, you'll see that in the results. You don't always get hit but when you do, the results are very dramatic. This is what I was going to do with the photo. If you'd rather just upload it, here's the link. The last one didn't take.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Here's a warning from the US Army itself about such scams, and if you are still not sure whether to believe me, hopefully you will believe them and sever all contact now. (see link)

Then you have to report the fraud to your police, to ActionFraud.police.uk, to the Federal Bureau of Investigation at IC3.gov and the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov. Your only chance of getting your money back -- and it is a very long longshot -- is if law enforcement can find out who and where this guy really is and bring him to justice.

I am very sorry not to have better news for you, but everything you have been told is a lie.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried on my iPhone and can't seem to upload a photo. Is there any other way I could send it for you to check? I followed instructions and no attachment comes up. This is a new phone and still learning to use it
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
I can give you an email address and you can send the photo to me directly as an attachment to the email. We can then switch our communications to email where it's private. However, that's a premium service that will cost you extra money. If you are interested in that, I can send you information. Let me know

The other way is free but it takes longer. You can send the photo to customer service and they will forward your email and attachment on to me. Then I can come back and show you what, if anything I find.

Customer service is at***@******.***
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the photos, which I have just received.

I am unable to trace them elsewhere on the web, but that does not mean that the person you are writing to is the person in the photo. I am sure, in fact, that he is not, for all the reasons I've already told you. Scammers woo multiple people, both men and women. They usually download their phony profile pictures from the web, but they also get them sent to them by their victims.

In any case, the formal photo is the dress uniform of someone who is a Sergeant First Class.
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989