Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I got an e-mail from apparent solicitor from Togo saying I

I got an e-mail from apparent solicitor from Togo saying I am to inherit some money and estate from my apparent late relative. He was asking me to provide some information like full name, address, telephone no... I was suspicious so I asked him to provide some evidence in order to support his title. He sent mi pictures of his passport, certificate, and some other pictures with his colleagues. His name is***** am still not convinced so I have not sent him any information he asked from me. How it can be checked if his story is genuine? Please advise me what to do. Kind regards, *****
My e-mail address is *****@******.***
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
,

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.

He's not legitimate. This is a very well known scam. In fact, the "same surname inheritance scam" has been going on for generations. It is one of the oldest of the West African frauds and precedes the advent of the internet. The Nigerians invented it, the Ghanaians and other high scam countries adopted it, and it's as successful now as it was then.

Scammers make countless phone calls and/or send thousands of emails and letters out every day in the hope that they find someone who believes he may actually have a missing wealthy relative somewhere and who will take the bait.

If you receive such a message and follow it up you will be told that the money is yours but that you will first have to lay out money reason or another to collect your inheritance. That's the #1 sign of an inheritance fraud. . If you pay the first fee, there will be another, and then another and then another. We see people here who have spent tens of thousands of dollars on phony legal and other sort of phony bank fees to get an inheritance that doesn't even really exist.

The scam comes complete with a phony lawyer and/or banker and with photoshopped documents. But all the scammer is doing is phishing personal information and looking to steal your money. He has nothing .

You would never find out about an inheritance via an email. Emails do not have any legal status when it comes to official communication.

Any time someone you don't know or some company you have never dealt with contacts you out of the blue to tell you that you have come into a windfall beyond your imagination, but that first you have to pay money out and/or reveal unnecessary sensitive personal information in order to collect it, it's a scam.

The scammers are just hoping to dazzle you with thoughts of the millions which will be coming your way so that you will wire them all of your money.

You can read the history of this scam on Snopes.com.

You need to start ignoring these people. They have nothing . You never have to prove or pay anything to collect a legitimate inheritance when you are a real beneficiary. You should report the fraud to Actionfraud.police.uk, delete the email and have no further contact with these thieves.

Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989