Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I invested money in a company called h20 technologies a long

I invested money in a company called h20 technologies a long time ago and I have been contacted by a legal adviser asking me to sell my shares. The legal adviser was from a company called Maxwell Financial Services
I am happy to do this as I don't have any confidence in h20 technologies and feared I was victim to some sort of boiler room scam years ago and that my shares were useless
They then told me that I would need to go through an escrow agreement at a cost of £8000+ or_ to a company stated as Global Financial Protection Commission of*****Boston
Do you have any knowledge of these companies , fraudulent activities, scams ,etc
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.

Yes, we have a lot of experience with these kinds of questions, and you can call yours "boiler room scam, part 2." That is, whoever contacted you was likely one of the same grup of scammers who defrauded you in a boiler room investment fraud years ago. This is what scammers typically do: they make lists of the victims upon whom they have preyed successfully and then come back in new guises for a second bite of the apple
by offering to buy up your worthless stock at a too good to be true price. Then they take you all over again with up-front fees.

Here's what you need to know:

Any time you get an unsolicited investment opportunity from a so-called foreign broker, it is going to be a fraud. The international investment community is filled with warnings about cold callers like yours. Soliciting abroad is just not what any legitimate financial firm does. It is illegal and the #1 sign of an investment fraud.

The boiler room scam comes in two versions:

You've experienced the first version already. You are told about a time-sensitive investment opportunity and pressured to make a very quick decision. So you buy shares, wire the firm your money and by the time you realize a year or so later you've been taken advantage of your "firm" has disappeared into thin air and your money along with it.

It's the second version for which you've been approached now. Here, a foreign investment company claims to be looking to buy your old worthless stock at a tremendous profit. The figures the agent bounces around are impressive and they claim that the offer will quickly disappear. You don't get much time to dwell on this if you want to make this deal which promises to be very lucrative for you. They are hoping you will be so motivated to recoup your previous losses that you will jump at the opportunity, even though it will cost you a large up front fee to complete the deal, because they tell you that there is money you must pay out first from your own pocket in order to release your shares for sale.

The fact is that you never have to pay money out of pocket in order to sell your shares. You're putting up shares. They are the ones who are required to spend money Any up front fee, no matter how logical the reason may seem to you, is just a lie that sounds good enough to fool the uninitiated, but it simply isn't true.All of the money in their offer to you is going the wrong way, from you to them! That's always a scam.

Trading in the US is regulated by the US Securities and Exchange Commission, just as it is regulated in your country by your Financial Conduct Authority There is no such company as the Global Financial Protection Commission. All international trading is government regulated and for a US broker to be able to make you an offering in the UK it must be registered with the US Securities and Exchange Commission and authorized to trade in your country by the Financial Conduct Authority. Without that, it's operating outside of the law, and you are walking right into another investment fraud.

Pay them and you will lose a great deal of money and get nothing.

Cease all contact with these and any other foreign firms that make unsolicited calls or send unsolicited letters and emails to seek your business. They are all frauds. Send no money. Report the fraud in the States to the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov. Report them to your police and to your FCA so that they wlll put out an investor alert to warn your countrymen.

Your FCA warns about boiler room scams here.

Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989