Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

can you tell me if a company in Malaga spain is above board

can you tell me if a company in Malaga spain is above board the company is called select mediation services based in Malaga,they contacted me some weeks ago and said they could help me get my money back that I had been defrauded some years ago,they told me that there would be no money to pay only 10 per cent of the final sum owed to me the final sum is £159000 so their cut would be £15900 which is fine by me but now they have told me that I have got to pay them £1200 up frontbecause they have been caught out in the past by people who refused them their rightful share,my telephone number is *********** many thanks ***** *****.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.

Scammers keep lists of the people that they have successfully swindled, and they also sell those lists to other scammers. That ensures that if you were scammed once, someone is going to come back and try to take advantage of you all over again.

The most common way for scammers to do this is to pretend to be a government agency, investigator or company who claims that they can get you back your money. For a fee, of course. And then another. And then another. And then another. Until one morning you wake up and realize that it's happening to you all over again.

These folks tipped their hand by asking after all for the up front fee. There are real businesses that try to retrieve lost funds, but they take a percentage of what they recover for you, and they don't get an up front fee. It was the promise of no up-front fee that made you think this company was reliable. And the fact that they switched up on you makes them highly suspect.

I have found the company's website at http://www.selectmediationservices.com and it confirms a scam. The site was only launched in January 2015, so it is only 3 months old. Additionally, it has only been registered for one year, the least amount of time that a company can register its domain and site for. This is not a law firm that has set itself up to be around for the long haul, and though its site claims it has been registered since 2011, that proves to be a lie.

The IP address traces to California, which is very unusual for a European company. You can verify all I've said above by going to www.domaintools.com and running the company's WHOIS.

Other indicators of scam abound. For one thing, a Spanish company's natural market would be in Spain. This website is in English only, and that is also suspicious.

And, its text is stolen from elsewhere on the web, which no reputable site would ever do. Match the home page to this. Select Mediation is a clone site of a UK legal firm, without the links to the solicitors, of course, because the Spanish site is a fraud and has none.

This company is not real. Cease all contact with them. Send them no money. If you have given them any sensitive personal identity information, take precautions against identity theft.

Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989