Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

, i have bought some graphene from a company called graphene

Hi, i have bought some graphene from a company called graphene trade which has now gone into insolvency, i have been told by the holding company my graphene is being held in a pristine condition in a nano company. I'm trying to establish if this whole thing has been a scam and i have lost the money or if the graphene exsists but is held with this company, I have trade notes with trade numbers and reference codes.
help please i have £15000 invested
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.

Do you have a website for the company? How did you hear of them? Where are they located? Is the holding company asking for any money from you? Do you have a name/location/website for them as well?

Use the reply tab below to respond
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping to have heard from you so that I could do some digging about the company. Until I get the questions I asked for I cannot give you a full answer.

As you may already know, however, graphene investing, like carbon trading, is very fertile ground for scam. First of all, it hasn't been established that graphene has any real investment value. Secondly, it is not regulated. And any time you invest in an unregulated investment opportunity, you lose the support of your Financial Conduct Authority. Many unregulated investment opportunities are operating outside the law in the first place. They conform to the pattern of the boiler room investment scam. Thirdly, when you deal with an unregulated company literally anything goes, so you may not have ever bought any real graphene at all.

A boiler room fraud is where you receive an unsolicited call from a so-called financial broker (generally outside of the country) who makes a high pressure pitch to get you to invest in what he says is a very lucrative but time sensitive investment opportunity. He doesn't give you much time to think it over. Once you invest, the deal goes somehow awry. Either the "broker" drops off the face of the earth along with your money or the company, like yours, suddenly goes belly up. Either way, you lose your investment.

But then there may be a second unsolicited call, which can come even a couple of years later, because scammers almost always come back in new guises for another bite of the apple. Suddenly, a different "broker" contacts you and tells you that your graphene is safe after all. And not only that but he wants to buy it from you. The money he discusses is enough to make your mouth water, especially as you lost a lot of money with your initial investment. BUT there is a problem. He cannot just buy it from you because there's something you must do to release it for sale. And to do that, you're going to have to send money to a third party to release your graphene.

If that is what you're hearing, then do not send any money. Report the company to your FCA and to

Please use the reply tab below and give me what information I asked for in the first place, and I'll look into the companies for you.
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thankyou for that info so far, i didn't receive your reply yesterday for some reason hence the delay in responding. their website is, twitter account,, although the latter dosent exsist apparently.

so far not so good i see the pattern you discribe, i have been contacted by the so called holding company telling me they have gone into administration and they say, quote;

Wed, 18 Mar 2015 23:27:04 +0000

Graphene Holdings
Dear Ms Abigail Bicheno

I understand that you were a client of Graphene Trade Ltd. We have been approached by Mr J Brenner of B&C Associates Limited, an insolvency practitioner appointed as Liquidator of Graphene Trade Ltd after the Company ceased trading. We may be custodian of your graphene materials, along with Soildo, which are held in bond in accordance with your graphene purchase.

We would like to ascertain what you would like to do with your holdings of graphene materials and have set out the following "2" options that are currently available to you :-

Remove and Return.

On your request we can make arrangements to send the graphene materials you purchased through Graphene Trade Limited to you at your address. In the process of release you may be liable for VAT when removing the materials from storage. There is currently a outstanding storage cost equal to £54.00 due, this is calculated from January 31st to March 31st 2015 and represents the time Graphene Trade Limited has ceased trading. You will be responsible for all courier and postal charges which can be advised on request.

Please note you are responsible for the handling of the graphene materials and graphene is flagged as potentially hazardous that may cause acute health problems if not handled in a sterile environment.

SELL on your behalf.

We can attempt to sell your materials back into the open market through avenues open to us. We cannot offer any warranty as to the final price achieved, however current indicative prices in the retail market range from approx $10 per gram as an example.

All sale bids received will be emailed to you stating the "price and quantity" for your instruction of sale. An administrational fee equal to £47.00 per month to manage the sale and advertise will be charged, no sales commissions are charged.

During the process of sale a storage fee equal to £29.00 per month shall be due from April 1st 2015. Upon any agreed sale we will secure payment on your behalf and ship to buyer, the buyer shall be charged all shipping costs. All sale proceeds, less any storage costs due til date of shipping, will be forwarded to you by cheque or for charge equal to £2500 by direct payment to your nominated bank.

It is important that you reply within 14 days of the date of this email. If you do not reply to this letter we shall assume that you do not want the materials to be retained in storage and these shall be removed and sold to prevent further storage costs and cover outstanding storage costs.

Yours sincerely

Nano Tech Holdings Consortium Inc

My instruction to this email is ;

"Remove and Return"

I ______________(insert your name) hereby instruct you to make arrangements to return the materials to me at the following address ; (insert address)

I agree to settle final invoice ;

i. Storage equal to £54.00 currently due from January 31st til 31 March 2015, whilst Graphene Trade Limited has ceased trading.

ii. I may be liable for VAT charged at a rate equal to 20% on my holdings when moved from bonded warehouse.

iii. I am liable for all postage charges, these costs will be assessed and emailed to me for settlement as a final cost.

I accept responsibility for the handling of the materials I have requested are shipped to myself. I have been made aware that graphene materials are potentially hazardous materials.

"Sell" on my behalf

I _______________________ (insert your name) hereby instruct you to advertise and Sell all materials on my behalf on a best efforts basis, informing myself via email address of the price you can achieve in any sales in part or whole. I agree to meet the following charges ;

i. Storage due equal to £54.00 for my holdings from January 1st til March 31, whilst Graphene Trade Limited has been in Liquidation.

ii. Ongoing storage costs equal to £29.00 per month thereafter until my holdings are sold.

iii. Administration fee equal to £47.00 per month to manage, administer and advertise the sale of my materials on best efforts basis.

This E-mail and any files transmitted are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and named in the E-mail. Any unauthorised dissemination or copying of this E-mail or its attachments, and any use or disclosure of any information contained in them, is strictly prohibited. If you have received the E-mail in error please notify *****@******.*** and delete it from your system.

Any views expressed within this E-mail which do not constitute or any advice and do not necessarily reflect the views of the company. Any reference made to third parties herein does not promote or endorse any products which that third party promotes or offers, past, present or future. Buying and selling any materials for profit gain involves the risk of part or total loss of your funds you relied upon to purchase those materials. You may lose more than the amount originally placed into your purchase of any and all purchases you choose to make. You should not buy materials for profit gain unless satisfied that they are suitable for you and you understand the market in which they are traded. If you are buying materials to profit from a gain in pricing available in the market in which that material is traded it could be some time before you see a return on your purchase. Changes in the rates of exchange between currencies may cause all prices to go down or up. We are a non regulated sector in the materials transactions we conduct for you and on your behalf. We do not offer any investment advice. Professional advice from an authorised and regulated independent advisor should always be sought before acting or relying on any information herein The values of all materials referred to herein or in any attachment are price guides only unless quoted otherwise specifically to a purchase or sale offer we make you in writing, these prices may rise or fall and we offer no guarantees of current or future price performance in respect of all purchases or sales prices. When transacting on your behalf in either a sale or purchase capacity we do so on a best efforts basis. We are not responsible for third parties whom it may be necessary we transact with from time to time on your behalf, all third party transactions will be instructed by you specifically with us acting as your agent on a best efforts basis.

I responded asking them to sell and they have acknowledged the email. I don't recall how I found the company, I was looking to invest for a short term while I considered what to do with the proceeds of my house sale. I found Graphene at the same time as investing in Gold was all the rage , I lost £4000 on that.

regards Abigail

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Actually, neither website exists any more. I was able to find the WHOIS of the former website. That gives the site's status as pending deletion. The domain name was registered and the site launched on January 29, 2013. The registration expired on January 29, 2015. So Graphene Trade was only set up to be around for 2 years. The least amount of time you can register a domain name for is a year, and it is both practical and more economical to register it for many years at a time, if you intend to stick around for the long haul. I find it very interesting that the company went into insolvency exactly when its website expired. It certainly looks like Graphene Trade didn't intend to stick around past January 2015 from its very inception.

B&C Associates, Ltd. would appear to be a legitimate liquidation company. It was registered with Companies House 5 years ago. It is located in London and its phone number is ***** You may want to call them and verify what you can of the contents of this letter.

Nano Tech Holdings Consortium's website is less than a year old. The site was registered and the website launched in June of 2014. The site traces to the UK but I note that the contact information on the website says that the business is located in the US in Birmingham, Alabama. It makes no sense for a US corporation to use an EU server and to want a .eu domain name. I suppose there could be a logical reason for it, but it's irregular.

I have looked at the business register for the Alabama Secretary of State and there is no such business as Nano Tech Holdings Consortium registered in Alabama. As in your country, with Companies House, a legitimate Alabama corporation would have to be registered with the secretary of state for tax purposes. According to Google maps the company address is a (very lovely) private residence and not a business location at all. The phone number does not trace to the family living in the residence.

I suggest contacting the FCA about whether this sounds fishy to them. It conforms to the scam pattern, and it looks pretty clear to me that you'd be throwing good money after bad to have Nano Tech (which has dubious existence) store and "sell" your graphene which may not, in fact, actually exist either. The FCA may have heard something about these folks. You'd be throwing away 100£/month, and frankly, I'm betting that when they do come up with a so-called buyer, they're going to require you to pay thousands of pound on some pretext or another in order to "sell" your graphene.