Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have been scamed into paying 10% deposit on a motorhome £2000.00

I have been scamed into paying 10% deposit on a motorhome £2000.00 now I cannot get in touch with the company a1logistics
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.

Do you have a website and/or a snail mail address for A1Logistics? Is A1Logistics a UK company? Did you have the opportunity to inspect the motor home in person and to test drive it?

Please use the reply tab below to respond.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

I was hoping to get a response from you before I answered, but I wiil go forward with my answer anyway. If I make any wrong assumptions, you can then reply with the additional information, and I can revise my answer.

The only A1Logistics that I find on the web is supposedly in the US in the state of Georgia. The Georgia Secretary of State's Office shows that there is an active compay called A1 Logistics in Villa Rica, Georgia, which incorporated in that state back in January 2011. It is in compliance with the state registration requirements, meaning that it pays its annual fees and files its annual tax reports.

It is a transportation service. That is, it is a freight carrier. I cannot find a company website for official verification of its phone number, but it appears to be(###) ###-#### The fact that the company exists doesn't mean that you were dealing with the real A1 Logistics.

There is a well known scam, which sounds like what may have happened to you. This is how it works:

You see a very desirable vehicle on eBay, Yahoo, or some other auction or online car site. It is way, way below its book value. The seller is typically very far away, many times even out of your country. He won't let you come and inspect the vehicle, nor will he allow you to hire an agent in his part of the world to come see it or check it out on your behalf before you have to pay for it. Frequently, he will say that he's in the military and about to be deployed, but whatever his excuse, there is no possible way you or your agent can come and inspect this item before you have to pay for it.

But don't worry, he assures you. The motor home is a good one and you will be able to have several days to inspect it during which time you can send it back. Meanwhile, he tells you, your money will be held by Google Checkout, PayPal, or some so-called transportation and escrow company, while you look it over. If once you inspect it you decide to get motor home, he tells you that the escrow agent will release your money to the seller. He may even "throw in" the cost of shipping and insurance, to sweeten the deal because he is in such a hurry to clinch this deal.

You'll get an email from from the so-called shipping/escrow agent, providing you with payment instructions. That will usually involve a wire transfer because they are instantaneous and irreversible. Then you sit back to wait for your motor home to arrive. By the time you figure out that it's never going to show up, your "seller"and the "agent/shipper" have disappeared without a trace and your money along with him. You try to find them, but none of the information you got about either of them turns out to be true and you can't turn it up.

There may be small variations, but if this sounds like your deal, then unfortunately, this is a scam. There is no motor home. There is no real shipper /escrow agent and unless law enforcement can somehow find them, round them up and bring them to justice you will never recover your money.

You need to report this in your own country to Action Fraud at Actionfraud.police.uk. If it is a US seller and a US company that you were supposedly dealing with, then you need to also report it to the FBI and the Federal Trade Commission. You can do this online. The FBI has a special website devoted to internet generated crime called the Internet Crime Complaint Center. You can find it at IC3.gov.

If you can find out who and where these people are, you would have legal remedies, but finding them looks like it's going to be a matter for law enforcement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the only other information I have is a web site A1 Logistics(uk) Ltd which is registered at companies house. Its director is Barry Micklewhite 19 Henconner Lane Leeds LS13 4SG

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I didn't realize that you were dealing with a UK company.

Did you actually see this motor home? Did the scam pattern I provided with generally apply or did your facts deviate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no I did not see the motorhome. yes the patern was close to what you outlined

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay but you and I are on different time zones and I was asleep when your response came through.

If it followed the pattern, then you were not dealing with the real A1Logistics. Scammers use the names of actual companies all the time to lend themselves credibility and further their frauds. That's why you've been unable to reach the company. The phone number they gave you was not a legitimate company number.

This matter, unfortunately, becomes one for law enforcement, because only if you find out who and where these scammers actually are can you bring them to justice. So reporting the fraud to police and to Actionfraud.police.uk is really all you can do. With a real company, you can contact Trading Standards and also post another qustion here in our UK Law category to find your specific legal remedies. But when the perpetrator could really be anybody, anywhere in the world, your options are very limited.

The rule of thumb, because these vehicle scams are very popular, is to refrain from buying any vehicle if the owner will not allow you or an agent you hire to come and inspect it. It's a good idea to see to that anyway, even if the seller and the vehicle really exist. That way you avoid buying yourself into a law suit.
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989