Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I got award winning letter to say I won

I got award winning letter to say I won 41,926.82 pounds what can I do

ihave just found the envelope my claim award came in the address is 1198avenue du dr Maurice donat-06250 mougins-france-

Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.

Did you actually enter this contest? Do you have a receipt or a ticket as proof of entry -- something other than the letter you got? Did the letter have a check enclosed that is supposed to represent partial payment?

Did they ask you to send them any money for processing, taxes, shipping, insurance or anything like that?

Use the reply tab below to respond.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they sent two finance code cheques for 20,963pounds and41 pence the numbers on the cheques are 01pc-2096341-2015 and 02pc-2096341-2015

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
his is a very well known scam.

Don't deposit the checks, as they are going to turn out to be forgeries. They will bounce, but by then you will have wired money to the scammers. That means you'll have lost your own money and if doing this creates an overdraft in your bank account, YOU will be responsible for paying back your bank.

You can never win a contest without entering it. If you won a lottery, you'd have a lottery ticket to prove that you had the matching numbers. If you won a sweepstakes, you'd have your half of the form when you entered it. In a legitimate contest, you ust present the ticket or entry form in order to be able to claim your prize. Scammers want you to think you can be chosen out of thin air, but it doesn't work that way.

I am sure that when you contacted them, they asked you to deposit the check and then to wire funds to a third party for transfer, courier, insurance fees or for taxes.
There's no legitimate reason for a contest to conduct business that way. If the contest can send you a check, they can pay their own expenses and deduct it from the money you've supposedly won. The only reason to do business this way is to disguise the fact that you're paying an up front fee with your own money. That will be apparent when the check bounces, which may take a couple of weeks.

By that time, you will be unable to locate the sender anywhere. He will have vanished into thin air.

If you haven't wired off money yet, have no further contact with the contest and send no money. Make several copies of the check and turn it over to your law enforcement authorities. If you have already paid the amount the scammers asked for, report the fraud to your police and to ActionFraud.police.uk.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the only way you will be able to recover your money is if law enforcement can find out who and where these thieves really are and bring them to justice.
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989