Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have been persuaded to send money. Can the man be found?

Customer Question

Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.

Can you provide more details about the scam? What information can you give to assist law enforcement in finding your scammer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have an email address and details of bank accounts I have transferred money tp.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Generally, scammers do not use their own names or personal identifying information. That enables them to literally hide out in cyberspace. The facts victims have won't check out and the scammers could be anybody, anywhere in the world. They also prey on victims in other countries, deliberately to impede law enforcement agencies which are restricted to their home countries only.

It's that which makes internet scam so insidious a crime. The overwhelming majority of internet scammers get completely away with their frauds. They are professional thieves and they know how to cover their bases.

The email account isn't likely to be of much help, because anyone can open an email account using false registration information. So even with a court order to see who opened the account the authorities may get nothing of use to help track the scammers. If you did transfers to actual bank accounts, however, instead of wiring money via Western Union or MoneyGram, those would be real leads which could give the authorities a starting place.

I'm assuming you believe your scammer is in Australia. You have already reported the fraud to Scamwatch, which is good. Scam is an international problem in epidemic proportions. Law enforcement agencies are up to their eyeballs in it, and frankly, your complaint will have no immediate priority. It is not unusual to hear nothing from them for a long, long time, if at all. To prioritize your matter, you'd have to hire a private investigator.

As you are in the UK, you should also report this to Action Fraud at actionfraud.police.uk. Your police do not have any jurisdiction outside of the UK, but they can see to it that all of the the appropriate foreign agency get the information that they need in order to find your scammer and bring him to justice.