Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I've brought two ps3 off someone who my son talks too

Hello, I've brought two ps3 off someone who my son talks too on Skype, they were for two of my sons, one with games and one with out, they said they had sent them and someone signed for them, we did not receive them and I think it was a scam, I paid though PayPal thinking it was safe, but they say it was a private payment so its not covered, I paid £150.00 to one account because he said his didn't work and then he said try his so I brought another at £70.00, he later said he couldn't get the £70.00 pound and he'd send it back and tried to make us send it again, but I could resend it because it never came back, please could you help
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this question. This sounds, unfortunately, as if you may have been scammed outright. Did you use a PayPal My Cash card to make the payments or make a transfer from your PayPal account balance to the seller's? Do you have the name and address of the person from whom you bought these? This is not yet an answer, so please do not rate this until I've provided you with one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello, he gave me an account name, I went on to PayPal and paid it to that, I have know address or contact number for him, but my son has been talking to him on Skype.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Can he offer any proof that he actually shipped the purchases like he said? Will PayPal not let you reverse the transaction based on your non-receipt of the goods?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

PayPal said they can't, I didn't really understand why I think because it was a private sale, we asked him to go back to post office where he sent it because he should have a receipt, they could track it where it went, he's said they can't do anything, I don't know why, we then asked if he could show us receipt he said post office was emailing one that was yesterday and that's last we heard.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
I've just looked over the PayPal user agreement. You can find it too by going to PayPal and looking at it there. I don't know that yours reads the same as mine, as you are in the Uk and I'm in New York. But under US law, this would be a personal transaction and would not be covered by PayPal's plan. Even if PayPal wouldn't reimburse you, however, you are entitled to file a PayPal dispute with the seller and then if you get no satisfaction from him, to escalate that into a claim with PayPal. It is possible for you to win such a claim even on an ineligible transaction, though PayPal warns it's difficult to prevail in those circumstances. Beyond that, since you don't know who or where your seller is and the money in question is small enough so that you're not likely going to want to hire an investigator and/or a solicitor to find him and take him to court, there is little that you can do. Without a court order, PayPal is not going to reveal the name and the address of the seller.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thank you you've been very helpful, I think it's just a learning curve, next time its eBay only, thanks

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Sorry that I couldn't give better news. Please take the time to rate my service before leaving the site so that I can get credit for my work.
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989