Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Is there a Captain Jacoby K Richards serving in U S Army in

Customer Question

is there a Captain Jacoby K Richards serving in U S Army in kabul afghanistan
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.

Do you have his date of birth? If you do, you can look him up on an official military website that will conclusively tell you if this person is a member of the US military. That site is here. You will get a warning from your computer because its certification is different from most websites, because it contains official military records. But you can access it safely. The fact that the site has a .mil extension lets you know that it is an official military site.

As for what information you have provided, neither of these are official military email addresses. An official military address would have us.army.mil to the right of the @ sign. So his legitimate military email address -- if he is for real -- would be jacoby.k.richards @us.army.mil

It cannot end in anything other than .mil.
Only a bona fide US serviceman can have a .mil extension for his email address, and every serviceman has got one. If he cannot provide you with that, he's a fake.

Also:

- Soldiers in a war zone cannot internet date.

- Soldiers in a war zone cannot reveal their actual location.

-- Soldiers in a war zone are not allowed to use mobile phones.

-- They earn their leave time the way you accrue vacation time, by the amount of time they are soldiers in the military. Civilians have nothing to do with leave. They can't request it and it's nothing that a soldier has to pay to take. Like your vacation time, the leave a soldier earns is his and his alone.

-- The military pays for their travel. They don't need civilians to fund them.

-- They must use their official military email addresses for all communication, and they only get a half hour on line per week for all of their computer correspondence.

All of the above restrictions are required for national security reasons and they get enforced. You'd have never have heard from this scammer in the first place were he really in Afghanistan or some other war zone.

Any time you get involved online with a so-called soldier in the US military who immediately wants to involve you in his financial matters, it is a scam. Each and every time. Any time a US soldier needs you to send money or gifts to West Africa, he is a phony.

Here's a warning from the US Army itself about such scams, and if when you finish reading my answer you are still not sure whether to believe me, hopefully you will believe them and break off all contact now. (see link)

If he conforms to the scam pattern, cease all contact. Send no money. Report the phony to Actionfraud.police.uk and to the FBI at IC3.gov

I know he's a scammer already, because despite the little information you've provided, he's given you a fake miitary mail email address. However, if you're still unsure, feel free to provide me with additional information and to upload a photo of him along with your reply.