Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have been scammed by horse racing tipsters in the past.

I have been scammed by horse racing tipsters in the past. I lost about £25K and the police after long statements came back to me and said that they were unlikely to get a prosecution, and would not proceed with the case.
Since then I have been contacted by many people saying they can get my money back. The first one wanted £2000 for expenses, and then said he had a cheque for me and wanted more money. I declined. Another sounded exactly like one of the scammers, and now one says he works for a government agency who pay the money, but they still want some money up front. He says the agency is called Intercepting Financial Company. Anyone heard of this, I suspect it is just another scammer.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, You're correct. This is just an other scam. Once you've been swindled, your scammers put you on a list. They sell those lists to other scammers. They also always eventually come back in new guises for another bite of the apple. The most common way in which they come back is to pretend to be a government agency, a company, an insurance agent, a lawyer or a banker claiming they can get you your money back. For a fee. And then another. And then another. And another. And another. Until you finally open your eyes and realize that you've been had, all over again. Companies House has no record of any business operating in the UK called Intercepting Financial Company. For that matter, neither does Google. Cease contact with this business and anyone else who calls you with this kind of an offer and wants money up front. It will always be a fraud. Report the scam to ActionFraud.police.uk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Zoey, I reported the original scams to action fraud, and as I said they say they were not prepared to try to get a conviction despite lots of evidence, bank account numbers and copies of text messages. So to be honest I do not trust this will be any different. The man contacting me now by text seems to know all the names of all the people who have scammed me, and I know that he must be an insider to be able to get that information. I though I would just check, and I could also not find anything on the Internet, but I found you while searching.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
One problem with law enforcement is that they are up to their neck in internet fraud, and they face the same problems that you do trying to uncover it. People who scam online are professional thieves and they know how to make themselves invisible, in part by preying on people from other countries. The overwhelming number of internet scammers get completely away with their crimes. I agree that the outcome of reporting the scam may be no different from the last time you tried. Still, it's the only tool you've got, unless you have the means to pay for a private investigator who would make it his priority to try to find them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Zoey,

This scam was all by phone and text, with money being paid into bank accounts in the UK, so I would have thought it would have been fairly easy to investigate. I also had addresses where I had sent cash. It was very disappointing that the police said they would not be able to get a conviction despite loads of evidence I had given them. I have asked another question and I am trying to find others to join me in reporting the perpetrators to the action fraud site hoping that a bulk reporting may generate some action.

Not much you can do for me I guess except to confirm that that agency does not exist.

Chris

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
I can confirm that no such agency exists, certainly not in your country, and since I find absolutely no reference to it anywhere on line, it's not anywhere else either. Generally internet scammers launder their money. Typically, you send it to someone in your country who turns out just to be another scam victim. In turn, that person has been instructed by the scammer to wire it off via MoneyGram or Western Union to him in another country and the trail goes dead. There's no question about the fact that you could sue these people or have them prosecuted if you could only find them. But that remains an awfully big IF.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, I wonder if I could use the site I have set up to report another scam to get enough people together to get after then with a private investigator? Thanks for the thought. This is the full details of the other scam I was caught by.

http://aaoptionhedgefundinvestments.com/

Chris

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I looked at that. There are many sites on the web which encourage people to report scams. You need not restrict yourself to just one type of scam. I think those sites do a lot of good. The technology that allows scammers to hide in cyberspace is better than the technology the police have to find the scammers. So educating consumers and having them band together and share information fills a real need. I'm not an expert on search engine optimization, but as with any new website, getting the public to find you will be your biggest hurdle. Good luck with your site!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Zoey,

I have found a way to promote it on Facebook. I was thinking that I only need to advertise it in the UK, but why not everywhere, spreading the names the scammers use may slow them down. And if enough of us get on to them they may get put away with luck.

I am off to bed now, thanks for your help and bit of inspiration.

No need to ruply,

Chris

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Why not everywhere, indeed! Good night!
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989