Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I think i have been a victom of fraud, a company calling themselfs

Customer Question

i think i have been a victom of fraud, a company calling themselfs the IMF a lottery croud have told me that i have won a large sum of money that was grand all that i had to do was pay for shipping that was ok so i thought and then told there was am issue now i am very worried that i have been taken advantage of and left pennyless because of this so called ferm can you help me Trevor
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I wish that I were in a position to give good news. You have been swindled by con artists, and while you're entilted to sue or have them prosecuted for the return of your money if you can find them, that's an awfully big if. There is not company calling itself the IMF. The IMF stands for International Monetary Fund. It is an international governmental organization based in Washington DC. It's mandate is to foster global financial stability by making it easier for governments all over the world to intercooperate. The IMF has nothing to do with lotteries or with the needs of private individuals. They do not provide restitution for scams either, although their name has been used in scams such as yours. The IMF is aware of the scams that are made using their name and they warn about them right on their website. Here's one such warning, and they publish many others. You cannot ever win a lottery unless you've actually entered the contest, although scammers always make you think you can. Lottery winners are paid by the proceeds of lottery ticket sales. If you didn't purchase one, you cannot win one. It's that simple. You also never have to pay a fee to collect what's already yours. Short of hiring a private investigator to track down, if at all possible, the thieves who reached out to contact you, the only thing you can do to try to recover your money is to give all the information you have to your law enforcement authorities and hope for the best. Again, you're entitled to the return of your funds. But the people that you are dealing with are not who, what or where they say they are, and you will have to find them first. Cease all contact with them. Send no more money to them. You never won a contest. Do not believe any unsolicited messages you get from so called government agencies or lawyers or detectives you haven't contracted with who tell you that they have your money for you. That's the second half of the scam, and sooner or later, your present scammers will come back with new names to make you pay all over again for funds they have promised to return but which they don't really have. Again, I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what can i do now i am left broke they are falling under the facebook lottery international lottery shouse Charles William.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
The only thing you can do, unfortunately, is to provide your law enforcement authorities with the information they need to try to find these people. There is no such thing as either a Facebook lottery or an international lottery.

International lotteries are unlawful, so any international lottery is a scam. Facebook runs no lottery and they warn about that on their site as well. Many of the profiles and the contests and ads on Facebooks are posted by scammers. You can never assume that just because something is on Facebook it is real.

You have to do independent research before sending your money to any strange person, contest or company because any time you get an unsolicited message that gives you news that is much too good to be true, that's a major sign of a scam. And asking for up front money for any reason whatsoever is the #1 sign of a contest fraud.

I would love to be able to tell you that there was a sure way to get your money back, but the fact is that these people can be anybody, anywhere in the world. Internet fraud is the problem that it is because scammers know how to just disappear in cyberspace, and the overwhelming number of internet scammers never get found and get completely away with their crime. If they can be found, they can be brought to justice and you can be compensated. But someone's got to find them, and it's a job for law enforcement.