Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have been speaking with a "soldier"who has sent me a box

I have been speaking with a "soldier"who has sent me a box full of money to Spain and yes I have read all the usual things about romance soldier scams ... I have emails from the company who took this box and it is held securely in Spain . They requested my name,address and 2 passport photos and a fee to receive this box . I actually went to Madrid and was met at my hotel and taken to see the box . Sure enough it was full and I was given 1 hundred dollar bill to check out I still have it . The person who sent this money did not put in a certificate of origin and the company or " officials " requested an extension fee until I could come up with 180k euro for the said document . I sent maybe foolishly 8k for an extension of 3 weeks . To come up with all this money ?? This soldier has put me in a bad situation and the man is Spain talks threateningly towards me . Is this a big scam and where do I stand in all this as the beneficiary . My soldier is trying to complete his mission so he can send the funds himself .
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Yes, this is a very big scam, and where you stand is nowhere, because there is no money that you stand. Even though you went to Spain and saw what you believed to be a box full of money, that is part of the scam. The hundred dollar bill you got may indeed be real. Some bills on the top of the box may be real as well, but most of the box is actually filled with construction paper. There are many reports of such scams. It's well worth the while of scammers to spend several hundred dollars to swindle a fortune from you. This soldier hasn't put you in a bad situation. You can walk away from it any time you like and report your so-called soldier and his confederates posing as Spanish bankers and lawyers to Actionfraud.police.uk. Please give me some information about your soldier, such as his name, and rank in which country's armed forces, where he's stationed, and his date of birth. Where does this so called money come from and why would he send it to Spain if he wants you to have it, and you are in the UK? If you have a photo of him you can upload with your reply, that would be helpful too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the chances of me getting my money back as I have a paper trail and receipts for monies sent
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
If you can find them you can take legal means to get your money back, but if they are scammers, finding them is a very big "IF." If you sent the money via Western Union or MoneyGram, for example, you're not likely going to be able to get the money back, because you'll find that all of the information you have on the people you're dealing with are not going to check out. Scammers use Western Union and MoneyGram precisely because the money can be picked up by anyone with a phony ID and the MCTN number, so following the money trail will dead end. If you made bank to bank transfers, then that would give law enforcement real leads to an actual individual who could be found and a starting point for an investigation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent 8 k via bank transfer . The man who has dealt with shipment says because my name is ***** ***** as beneficiary. I would be charged with possible money laundering !!! And he has my name address and NIE number . Maybe he's trying to scare me Ito paying all this money out which I don't have
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. I stepped away from the computer. This is all a lie and the sort only heard in advance fee frauds. If you cease contact with all of these people, nothing like that is going to happen to you. You cannot launder money that you've never even had. And the threat doesn't even make sense. If the money is being laundered, then it's illegal for you to have it in the first place. So why would you want to pay for it?? Whoever these people really are, they are just trying to scare you. They may have your name and address, but they are never going to come after you. But if you're worried, you need to report the fraud to Actionfraud.police.uk and also tell them that you are concerned for your safety. Give them what information you have about the bank transfer.
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989