Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

To cut a long story short, I have been assisting a young lady

To cut a long story short, I have been assisting a young lady from Ghana to ship some of her gold here in the UK to sell for her. The consignment is now apparently being stored for 'safe keeping' by a company called Xbayne Group Security,***** London, until I pay for further shipping and legal documentation fees of £8,500 to have the consignment shipped by air and delivered to my door here in Sunderland.
Could you please advise me if this Xbayne company is genuine. I have tried to ring the number they provided but I am getting no answer. The number given is: 0203(###) ###-####
Thank you for any advice you can provide.
***** *****head
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
You've met yourself a Ghana romance scammer. Why would she not have shipped it to you in the first place? And how could she get the gold as far as she did without documentation?
Ghana is a very poor third world country where the average person makes only the equivalent of $200 USD/annually. But the one asset they have is gold and the exporting of gold from Ghana is very tightly regulated. All must go through the Ghanaian government and be vetted and shipped by the PMMC -- the Precious Minerals Marketing Corporation -- a government agency. A shipment like this would never have been able to leave Ghana without documentation. This is just s lie designed to swindle you out of £8,500.
Companies House, which as I'm sure you probably know, is the government agency that keeps the business records and annual tax filings for every business in the UK, has no record of any such company as Xbane Group Security.
Typically, however, the scam goes like this:
Your young lady approaches you on a dating or social networking site and sweeps you off of your feet. She claims to be an heiress with a fortune in gold which she usually claims is her inheritance, and which is sitting somewhere in some storage company.
Frequently, she tells you that her being able to claim her fortune is contingent upon her getting engaged to "a good man." You haven't met her, but suddenly, tag, you are "it." As her good man it becomes your job to pay and get her gold released so that you and she can live happily and wealthily ever after. And pay. And pay more. And pay more. And pay more. And pay more.
This scam comes complete with phony documents, some of which you've already probably received: supposed high court paperwork putting her gold into your name, for example, bills of lading, and the like. All are fake. It will also come complete with phony barristers, bankers and customs officials. (Scammers work in teams and play roles in each other's scams to bolster the scammer's lies).
The gold isn't in the UK. It isn't anywhere at all. Everything about this is a lie.
If you have documents that you can upload with your reply, and/or photos of the young lady you think you are assisting, I should be able to confirm the fraud. We hear questions just like yours many times every day and we have NEVER seen an internet romance from Ghana prove to be legitimate once she involves you in her financial circumstances and asks you for money.
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989