Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have been the victim of a simple fraud that I should have

I have been the victim of a simple fraud that I should have spotted at the outset. I paid some money into a Hong Kong bank, where I believe it still lies. I find it hard to believe that i cannot get it back even though both my own bank and the Hong Kong bank agree that it was transferred as a result of a fraudulent request. Here is my case history:
Diary
3 Nov Initial call from David *******
6 Nov Dear Mr ******,
Further to our telephone conversation today I now attach photos of the signed documents that you requested.
7 Nov Dear Mr *********,
Following your phone call this evening I attach a copy of the relevant page of my passport. My reason for needing financial advice is the danger of my losing most of the pay out to the taxman in capital gains.
10 Nov Email from ******** ********* ***** (***)
> ***-*** *******, ****** , ** *****, USA
> Phone: *.***.***.****
> Email: mail@************.com
> Website : www.***********.com
11 Nov Transferred money.
18 Nov Welcome letter from ***** ******* *************
**** ******** ***, *******, ** *****, United States
Telephone: *.***.***.****
Email: contact@****************.com
Website: www.***************.com
19 Nov Dear Mr ****,
Thank you for your letter of 18 November. I can confirm receipt and by this email establish full contact.
21 Nov
Dear Mr ***,
We appear to have a small confusion, someone has sent me paperwork for a Mr Raymond *****. It appears to be for a very different transaction so I cannot amend it in my name. I look forward to receiving my own documentation soon.
21 Nov warrant agreement for Raymond *****.
24 Nov
to
02 Dec Further calls from David *****. +**********
30 Nov Suspicion and initial report to FCA. FCA Reference###-##-####4146660
3 Dec Filled in FCA reports and spoke to Matt **** at Lloyds.
5 Dec Sent of relinquish of warrants letter to David ***.
Strange No 787539295883
***** ******** ***** 0013126754387
NFRC 141100857477 Password d6F2Mfj9
Robert *** **** ************ Transfers +85258087248
Amount Bank Name Bank Account Number Beneficiary Account Name Swift Code (BIC) Deposit Reference GBP 4,691.00 HANG SENG BANK LIMITED###-##-####883 HAMTRON LIMITED HASEHKHH TR11010014X29 83, Des Voeux Road RM 801, 8/F Opulent Building Central 402-406 Hennessy Road Hong Kong Wanchai Hong Kong
15 Oct 15 Telephone contact from Justin ********** ++1646(###) ###-####
This is clearly a widespread form of fraudulent scam. How do I get my money back?
Here is a letter I have just sent to the SFO.
From: Tim ***********
Wilton
Salisbury
SP2 0JD
*** ******** **** ********** 21 October 2015
*-* ***** ********
London **** ***
Dear Sir, Share Sale Fraud
I refer you to my letter of March this year, copy attached, and your reply of 16 March.
I write again as I have once more been contacted by people wanting to offer me large sums for my relatively worthless shares. This time it was someone calling himself Justin Stevenson of Capital Union partners. Following this contact I visited the web site: http://www.tradersdaytrading.com/company-takeover-scam-comments.html, I was horrified to see the number of reported attempts that have occurred since I first got involved in this affair; how many go unreported.
On the grounds that this is causing significant actual and potential harm, that there is significant public interest and that actual or potential losses are high, I ask you to look again at this matter. I realise that all things are relative and that, no doubt, you deal with companies being defrauded of millions, however I believe that there is more public interest in hundreds of individuals being defrauded out of savings they cannot do without rather than large corporate losses by firms who mitigate such losses by tax write offs or insurance compensation.
My bank manager assures me that he believes that my money is still in the account in Hong Kong to which I transferred it. He and I are in contact with the Hang Seng Bank, but it amazes me that there is apparently no way in which the money can be returned to me.
I copy this letter widely in the hope that someone will take action on my behalf and not merely list me on the log of victims. I enclose 3 documents that sum up my history with details.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Unfortunately wire transfers are not reversible unless the receiving bank agrees to return it to you. Since you voluntarily authorized the transmission of the payment, in general the receiving bank won't cooperate, especially if the holder of the account drew out against it. They are not responsible for your loss, the laws for which protect the bank and not you, if you don't do your due diligence until it's too late. An account holder is responsible for his withdrawals and deposits to and from account. I understand that you don't think that's fair, but it's the law. You need to report the fraud to the FBI at IC3.gov and to your police. If you can find the folks you sent the money to, you'd be able to sue for the return of your funds. You have a bank account that may lead somewhere. The FBI is partnered on their Internet Crime Complaint Center with Interpol, which can give your data to the relevant authorities in Hong Kong. I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** this takes me no further and merely tells me what my bank manager has already told me. Not a very good £26 worth and though you have been speedy in your response I would rather not pay.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes the best any of us experts can do is to confirm what you may have already been told. That's because sometimes the legal liability is clear, and there's just no debate about it.
I'm sorry that this happened to you, but as much as I'd like to tell you what you most would want to hear, it wouldn't be accurate for me to do so.
Experts have nothing to do with customer membership and with billing issues. You'd need to contact customer service to refund your deposit. They are at***@******.***.