29905560

My money was paid fraudulently into an account at HSBC in

Customer Question

My money was paid fraudulently into an account at HSBC in the name of Mr M Biddle and Mrs. What has been done about it?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Please provide details so that I can understand your situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
£2000 was taken from my account at lloyds bank fraudulently and paid into an account in the name of M. Biddle & mrs. I knew and informed all the authorities concerned, including the police within an hour of the event. I have heard nothing since although it happened at the end of September!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No effort has been made to retrieve my money even though they know into which account it was paid. Ludicrous!
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am going to move this question into the UK law category, as I am an American lawyer. They should be able to tell you what recourse you have with the police to learn the status of your investigation. Please be patient as it may take the site moderators a bit of time to move your question to the proper category. I wish you good luck with your situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How was the money taken out of your account?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By fraudulent means, I now assume I was part of Talk/Talk problems. It was known into which account the fraudulent money was paid but no attempt was made to retrieve the money even though it was known to all the relevant parties (inc. police) on the same day. WHY! Yours Ramon
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Whilst you can report the issues to the relevant authorities, you cannot force them to actually work quicker r to resolve this as you ay expect them to. They may know which account it went to and who the account holder is, but it is not as simple as that. There will have to be some investigation into it, they will have to try and work out how the fraud happened and even if they know the account it went into it does not mean that the money is still there – in fraud cases it will not just remain in the account, it will be withdrawn or forwarded on very quickly so that it is more difficult to recover. So I understand your frustration that this is taking a while but this is never a simple matter and together with the other workload the police may have, it will not necessarily be resolved within the time scales you had initially expected. Yu must leave this in their hands and they will deal with it as they see fit. You cannot force them to act quicker and whilst you can contact them for updates, you will have to let them do their job. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the fraudster has taken the money out of the account, does that mean he has "got away with it" or will he use the account again to rob some other unfortunate sucker. I shall see all my life Mr M. Biddle & Mrs £2,000 on my statement, knowing that I cant do anything about it! Ramon
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Often they get away with it and that is the unfortunate reality. They tend not to use the same details over and over again as it means the chances of being aught are increased. So they can keep shifting from one place to another and use different accounts. If it was genuine fraud then you should hopefully get some protection from the bank and I would push them further for that, to see what exctly yhey may cover you for. But don't assume the worst yet, the matter is still ongoing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not think that my bank is doing anything as the M. Biddle And Mrs. is still in my list of my accounts names. Action/fraud have not got back to me. Neither have the police nor the bank (HSBC) the money was fraudulently paid into. It just seems that nobody is doing anything! No wonder there is so much fraud when the miscreants can be sure they can get away with it.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
The fact that their names is on your list of account names does not really mean anything. It i not a case that if it is there nothing is being done abut it or if it is taken off the matter is resolved. As mentioned these cases are not always easy to deal with - it is not a simple fact of tracing the account it was paid into - remember, that account could have been closed down or abandoned, the people may have opened it fraudulently in the first place or taken control of it and those whose name is ***** ***** may not even know it was used as fraud, so there is a lot to investigate and trace before anything happens. You just have to be patient and let them d their job
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When HSBC accepted Mr & Mrs Biddle the bank must have had some knowledge of them and their suitability as a bank customer. The £2000 must have shown on the banks records and the bank must know how the money was removed from the bank and they must know that their customers are crooks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems as if all the people who are supposed to be concerned with this case have chased the people who are most involved. I am so depressed as to the lack of action!!!!!!!
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Almost anyone can open a bank account, it is not difficult to be eligible so the fact that someone may in the future keep money sent to them in error is not really something that could be highlighted in the initial verification process. However, as mentioned the banks have very strict data protection obligations so even if someone has kept money sent to them in error, it does not give the bank the right to disclose information about it. They can only do so to the police or following a court order. Also remember that this is not theft - you sent the money in error, so there would have been no intention to permanently deprive you of it in the first place as such the police are unlikely to act here becausthis is not a criminal act despite the fact it may appear to be such to you