29905560

I have been in communication with someone who

Customer Question

I have been in communication for sometime with someone who says that he is a Doctor with the United Nations in Syria. How can I find out if this is true?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello can you pleas explain what has happened so far?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on Skype and he contacted me that way - photograph, general chat which advanced and he has been in contact for a while. Loving messages, I had a message from his son to say his Dad is so pleased that he has found me etc., and is anxious to fly to the UK to see me etc. He is constantly on Skype to me and wants a UN Vacation Certificate to allow them to come and see me. Could I send some money as he cannot get out otherwise and has no funds in Syria to pay for it. |He appears very plausible and wants to come this week. \naturally \I am concerned and told him \I cannot and will not pay for the whole price of £1,200 which is true. I have offered£500 which he asked me to up to £700 which I would not. |\he wants me to send via Western Union which |I understand is a tricky thing to do. \My main question is : Is he really a Dr. with the UN in Syria and how can | I find out if this is true. He has a photo ofhimself (so say) on Skype in a white coat and stethoscope and another in casual shirt etc. Please help. Sophie Ridges
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Which country is he from, where is he registered as a doctor? Also are you able to upload his photo as I can search through that too?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is originally from the US - so say Houston, Texas. I am unsure how to upload his photo from Skype- my laptop skills are not up to much!! His name is*****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 59 years old and with the military (so say) as a GP,,Drdavidmark on Skype with a photo. I am supposed to be sending a Western Union form and money today for £500. but keep backing off for obvious reasons! He says that he has money in West Africa with a Barrister and needs to fly there to collect it!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is now urgent and I have to leave home (Cirencester) for a dental appointment in Tetbury at 12noon and then send the money by a travel agent. I had thought of sending say £250.00 today and if he receives it (so say) then send the rest in a couple of days time. |He says that he will pay me back and wants to buy a house in the UK
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Everything you have said has the classic hallmarks of a scam. There is absolutely nothing that would make me want to trust this person based on what has happened so far. Meeting a person online, striking a relationship, then inevitable - asking for money to be paid via Western union. I have been working in fraud cases for years and I can determine a scam quite quickly and for me this is 100% one. What he has said is complete nonsense - there is no such thing as a UN Vacations Certificate and certainly if you were working for the UN you would not have to pay to take holidays. A well paid doctor (and believe me they are) would not be going online to ask strangers for money, whatever their personal circumstances are. So if you send the money I can guarantee you will lose it. Do not fall for this obvious scam and save yourself the trouble - cut all contact with him and remember that you have most likely been speaking with a scammer in an internet cafe in West Africa, rather than a noble doctor on the frontline in Syria. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel 50/50 about whether it is all true. He seems to have clung on to me for a long time for a relatively small amount of money which if he is a fraudster I would have thought hardly worth the effort. Also it seems odd that he should choose a woman that much older than himself. He said that age is just a number! Perhaps he thinks that an older woman is likely to have more money than someone much younger
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
I think our replies crossed, please see above
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thank you for the info that you provided on Monday re: Dr David Mark and amazingly I have found him onLinkedin asDr. Morgan William complete with his photograph which is how I recognized him. He is indeed a Doctor with the United Nations as he told me he was so am much relieved but is still asking me to send money for his flight to come and see me as he cannot obtain money in Syria. I am wondering whether you can find out more about this problem? I would be grateful. It might of course be true but it would be good to have confirmation of this. With thanks,Sophie Ridges, Cirencester
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Well it certainly looks like this is a serial fraudster who is just making numerous accounts with different names for the same purpose of scamming victims. This is very common - why run just one scam when you can easily multiply your earnings by posing as several diffent ones. If he asks for money stay well clear, it is very simple