Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have been conned out of 460.00 which I have written off.

I have been conned out of 460.00 which I have written off. I have reported this to the S.F.O., but they that it might be better to contact the action fraud department as it was difficult to explain it to them in an email. It is quite a protracted case and complicated.
What should I do now please.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, What you can do depends upon the nature of the fraud. If it's going to be a job for law enforcement, then contacting ActionFraud may be in your best interest. Please explain how you were defrauded.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received an email from someone claiming to be Bill Gates of Microsoft fame, he said he was unwell and going to Germany for cancer treatment, He said he was donating 5 million USD to me and 9 other people, through the Reserve Bank of India.
I went through all the procedure, to get the money but was told I had to pay more money.
Since then I had more emails from all sorts of people claiming that I should deal with them and not with anyone else and not to tell anyone about it.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, this is a well known scam. Assuming that Bill Gates or any other well-known public figure were really going to donate $5 million dollars to you, you'd never find out by an email. An email has no legal sufficiency. Here's one scam report concerning an email like yours. Additionally, if you were a beneficiary, the money would already be yours. You wouldn't have to pay anything to get it. Finally, why would the Reserve Bank of India have anything to do with this? The Reserve Bank of India is the bank of the Indian government that controls and regulates the economy of India. It is not a commercial bank and has nothing whatsoever to do with the financial affairs of private individuals. Once you have fallen for a scam, other scammers come out of the woodwork and try to take advantage of you too. That's because scammers work in teams and they also sell the names of the people they have successfully defrauded to other scammers. You were told not to tell anyone because as soon as you did, you'd be told that this is a much reported scam. This is a job for law enforcement, unfortunately, because it's going to take investigative efforts to find out who and where the perpetrators of this scam really are and bring them to justice. You will need to report this to ActionFraud.police.uk, as they have the best possible resources to handle this sort of fraud. Scammers generally prey on people from countries other than their own, however, to thwart the efforts of their victims' law enforcement authorities. Most advance fee frauds of this sort originate from Nigeria, Ghana or Malaysia, which means that the odds of your recovering your money are very, very low. Cease all contact with anyone in touch with you about this "donation." They are just phishing for your personal identifying information and trying to steal as much money as you will be willing to send them to get your non-existent gift. Keep in mind also that any time you get an unsolicited out-of-the-blue message with news that is much too good to be true, it's going to be a scam.
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989