Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Please can you help me little while now I've been

Hi please can you help me for a little while now I've been in contact with man who says he is General Dario Littera and is stationed in kabul Afghanistan. He has just asked me to send money to get his belongings sent to me and im desperate for advice .can you find out if there is such a person named General Dario Littera in the USA military im so worried as I must send the money tomorrow I've tried contacting the U S A but to no avail .please help .Mary
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Please do not send any money to this person. He is not a real US General. In fact, the name belongs to a well-known con artist. You can see reports about this person's actions here. A US general makes a very fine living. Additionally, the US military has it's own mail delivery system, and the use of that is free for members of the military. A US general wouldn't have to beg a stranger for money to send her a package. This is just an excuse to ask you for money. A request for money is the #1 sign of an internet military romance fraud. If you aren't ready to believe me, there are also a couple of 100% foolproof ways to tell whether your online friend is a military scammer. Anyone who is presently serving in the US Armed forces would be in the Armed Forces data base, which is searchable at this site: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/scra/single_record.xhtml You will get a warning from your computer when you first land there, because its certification is different from most websites, because it contains official military records. But you can access it safely. The fact that the site has a .mil extension lets you know that it is an official US government military site. With the soldier's full name and date of birth or social security number, you can see if any such person ever was a US soldier. If his name is ***** ***** this one is, his name and date of birth should be good enough to get you an answer. If he has a common name, you'll need to ask him for his social security number. There's another way as well. Every US soldier has an official military email address. So ask your soldier for his official military email address. This is not classified information. A real US soldier may have a classified email address as well, but he also has a regular military email address with which he writes to his friends and family. Every soldier does because it is the only one he is supposed to use. When he gives his email address to you, it should end in .mil It will NOT end in .com In other words, it should look like Dario.Littera @us.army.mil If the email address doesn't end in .mil on the extreme right side of the @ sign, he is a fake. Only US servicemen can get a .mil email address, and if he can't produce one that you can email him back and forth with, he's scamming you. Period. Also, just so that you know for future reference, here are the tell-tale signs of a military scammer: - you meet him on a dating website or social networking site.- he falls in love at first site and rushes you into a committed relationship.-- he usually claims to be an officer because it's more impressive.-- he always claims to be on active duty out of the US.,- if you/he are at least middle aged, he generally will claim to be a widower with a kid.-- he talks about getting to meet you and happily ever after. And once you return his interest he starts talking to you about and/or asking you for money. He will want you to wire it Western Union or MoneyGram which is untraceable when wired abroad. He may ask you to pay for his leave (leaves are free) for his transportation (that's free too), for his kid's birthday presents, and/or for an endless series of increasingly improbable emergencies such as medical care. He may tell you that he's making you his beneficiary as next of kin and want you to pay for that even though you're not next of kin and if it were a real soldier both he and you would be committing a serious fraud against the government. He may have his so-called commanding officer call or write to you to back up his lies. This list is not exclusive. There are many other excuses. None of it, however, is true. Also: - Soldiers in a war zone cannot internet date.- Soldiers in a war zone cannot reveal their actual location.-- Soldiers in a war zone are not allowed to use mobile phones.- They must use their official military email addresses for all communication, and they only get a half hour on line per week for all of their computer correspondence. If this man were really in Afghanistan, you'd not be able to hear from him at all. The US army is very aware of these scams. Some scammers have gone so far as to use photos of soldiers who were later killed in battle. The Army publishes many warnings about military scammers to try to raise public awareness so that people won't fall for them. You can see one warning here. Don't let any so-called US soldiers involve you in their so-called financial problems. It is always a scam. Cease contact with this criminal. Send him no money. The US military asks that all military scams be reported to the FBI online at IC3.gov, their Internet Crime Complaint Center.
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989