Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Can u tell me if ***** ***** from essex uk living

Customer Question

hi can u tell me if ***** ***** from essex uk living in mitchigan working on the road construction in istanbul is a fraud
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 months ago.
Hello, This sounds as if you're being set up for something we call the "stranded traveler scam". I know because romance scammers are predictable. They are only really interested in money, so the way the approach a woman conforms to a typical pattern. The Stranded Traveler Scam begins when you meet a guy online who rushes you into a romantic relationship. He claims to be a successful businessman but before he can meet you he claims he must go off to some country that is not his own, usually for work purposes. There he has some kind of an emergency and claims he has no choice but to ask you for money because you are his only hope to solve the problem. If you send it -- you shouldn't -- there will be still another emergency, and then another. You will never meet him, because the man you think you are writing to does not really exist. And you'll never get your money back either Here are the tell-tale signs of a romance scam, and I know that you will find them all too familiar. - the scammer reaches out to you on a dating or social networking website and he falls in love with you at first sight. His profile usually shows an attractive, well educated man with his own business and you can't believe your luck. If you/he is middle aged, he generally claims to be a widower with a son or a daughter. - He moves in on you faster than a speeding bullet and sweeps you off your feet, rushing the relationship towards some kind of a commitment. He pulls you off the site where you met and tells you that he wants an exclusive relationship with you via webcam, skype, Yahoo messenger, etc. He talks of love, marriage, future and forever. - He is in another country, not yours or his, for work purposes, usually, but not always as an engineer, a geologist, an architect or a construction or mining supervisor. He says that desperately wants to meet you as soon as he can. He may even refer to you as his wife or fiancee, though you have never met. - And as soon as he sees that you return his feelings, the conversation turns from love to money and he has the first of an endless series of unfortunate events. He has an accident at work or a problem with his credit card, a theft at his hotel, or he's mugged on the street and needs you to pay his hospital bill, or his son or daughter comes down with something serious for which he needs you to pay, or he has workers he must pay or legal expenses he must clear before he can see you or goods he needs that are supposedly held up at customs. There are dozens of excuses, no one of them truthful. You can see a whole list of common excuses here. http://romancescams.org/TypesOfScams.html The money requests generally start small, but if you send him any, the subsequent requests will be A LOT bigger. And bigger. And bigger. And bigger. And bigger. Despite the fact that when you first started talking to him, he claimed to be a successful, well educated, independent, self-reliant kind of guy, suddenly he changes his spots. And so he will ask you to wire money via Western Union or MoneyGram or by some other untraceable way that gives you no consumer protection, and will promise that he will pay you back when he shows up at your door. But there will always be one more emergency. And it will always cost you. And the day of his arrival will never come. If this sounds familiar and you have not sent him money, just cease all contact with him and walk away. If you have sent him money, do the same thing, but report his fraud to your law enforcement authorities and to actionfraud.police.uk. If you are not convinced yet, you can reply here to this answer on this question thread and attach any photos and documents that he has sent you along with your reply. If you have an address in Michigan for him, I can track that for you and see who really lives there.