29905560

To whom it may concern. i bought a car on ebay. i sent him

Customer Question

To whom it may concern.
i bought a car on ebay. i sent him the money via a bank transfer. The car was meant to be delivered a couple of days ago. i called the dealer yesterday and the deal said that the courier is on route and he will drop the car in three hours. he has now switched off his phone and there is no reply from him whatsoever. i visited the police station and they advised me to report this. what shall i do ?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Who have the police told you to report it to?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Ben, the police told me to report it to actionfraud.co.uk I went onto the website and I followed the link to report a fraud. I ended up by asking my question to yourself. I'm stuck and I don't know what to do. Can you please help me, I want to take action as soon as possible. I have all the details of the car and its seller (item number on ebay, telephone number, address etc ) however all these details could be incorrect if he was lying. I did speak to him on the contact number that he had provided and he allegedly said that the vehicle was en route to being delivered. I need a quick action.
It does indeed look like fraud and the issue here is that you paid via bank transfer which gives you zero protection against fraud. It is like sending cash in the post really. The banks cannot do anything because they assume that you trusted the recipient and it is down to you to ensure that you send the money to the right person. Ebay will not help either because you have not followed approved payment methods such as PayPal, which would have covered you against fraud. Action Fraud is really the only thing you can do here and whilst that will bring it to the attention of the relevant authorities but do not expect miracles because I can advise from experience that such scams are rather rarely resolved in the favour of the victim. You can report the scam but you cannot force the authorities to take the action you want so if they are unable to resolve this for you, then you cannot pressure them further – they will do what they can but often that may not be enough to resolve the situation. If that fails then you are really only looking t taking the person to court but to do this you would need their details and as you have identified they may have easily used fake ones and that will make court action very difficult or even impossible. So I am afraid to say that 9 times out of 10 these scams are not resolved in your favour and the money will be lost. I wish I could give you a quick fix but this is the reality in the circumstances and it is an important lesson that you should never just pay up front via a method which does not provide you with fraud protection. In car purchases you either pay via PayPal or cash on delivery. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Ben,Thank you for your reply, i have attached the invoice which was sent to me with the details of the van and an address (which i presume is false). I have also copied in the link for the advertisement please could you kindly advise as the police advised that i should wait until Monday-Tuesday until they can take further action as it is the holiday season and this is the reason why they have switched their telephone off. I do not believe this is true. Please could you kindly advise.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301822531749?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I would not expect the police to lie to you about this so if they have told you that they believe there is a reason for this then that may be their genuine belief - it would not be something they would deliberately lie about. The documents you have provided would not change any of my initial advice - your options still remain exactly the same - police, Action Fraud or court. There is no other way about it. Hope this clarifies?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not assuming that the police are lying, I'm assuming that the seller of the van has created a false advertisement. In regards ***** ***** seller switching off his phone then i don't believe it is because of the holiday period because he has his phone switched on up until the moment when he said the van was 3 hours away. I also said that I assume that the details of the van are false and these assumptions are based on indications. For example i checked the property address on google maps and it's a plot of land there isn't a mechanic there. I asked the seller if I can pay via pay pal and he said no. I asked the seller if i can pay for the courier and then when he gets to the delivery address I will pay the remainder of the money, he also said no. So this has led me to believe that the details provided and the reasons for the seller switching his phone off are invalid. You said that my options remain the same. Police, Action fraud or court. As for police then I have already approached them and they directed me to here. Action fraud then I was under the impression that this was action fraud. Thirdly court, then I thought that was the outcome of the action fraud. Could you please elaborate on the processes in regards ***** ***** fraud Court.
it is indeed likely that the advert was fake - after all one would not expect fraudsters to use genuine information to carry out the scam. We are not Action Fraud - we are JustAnswer - we provide legal and other advice when people request it - we have nothing to do with Action Fraud. So if you thought you were dealing with Action Fraud and do not wish to continue then please let me know
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you very much, i will need to take further action through the police so i do not wish to continue. If i will need you i will contact you again.
No problem, you are welcome back any time. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a rating for the service so far as that is an important part of our process. Thank you