Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have been cold called by a team of so called court officials

Customer Question

I have been cold called by a team of so called court officials in Malaga telling me that I have been awarded a significant amount of money by a Court Judge Madrid about October time regarding a timeshare property that I previously owned. Do you think this is a scam?
They want me to forward money to them for the work they have done in obtaining a NRTE certificate. Do you think I should do so
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 months ago.
Hello, Yes, I am quite sure this is a scam. Spain is notorious for time share frauds. As part of that people hold themselves out to be members of the bar, and it happens frequently enough so that there are warnings on the web from the legal community asking people to beware of such unsolicited contact. See this warning, for example which mentions a fraud that targets timeshare owners. If you really won a judgment you would already have known it. You would have received notice of a class action of some sort and would have been contacted to join in the suit. Assuming, however, that you are a named plaintiff and have money that is already yours, you would never have to pay anything out of pocket to claim it. The money is yours by definition. And if these thieves were really entitled to legal fees, they could take it from what they already are holding. Don't fall for this. It's a well known fraud. Send no money. Block any further contact and report them to your local authority and to actionfraud.police.uk