Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Good Afternoon! I read in a magazine, about ladies being taken

Good Afternoon! I read in a magazine, about ladies being taken in by dating agency fraudsters. I think I may be one of these women? I have not lost any money, as I am a retired Sales Director of a large Greenwich Glucose refinery. I have been living in Malta, my husband died there 3 and a half years ago, & I moved back to the UK 6 months ago. I joined match.com 9th January, 2016. Since then I have been emailing this gentleman, he said his name was Peter Solderberg, (my late husband was named Peter) that he was a Swedish Architect, living in Zurich now, but has been working on a major Government project in Vienna, Austria, for 5 years, scheduled to finish end of this month, but it is running over schedule & finishing end of February, 2016. I haven't lost anything, except a piece of my heart, but that is repairable! My worry is he has my personal email, and my home address? I was in Malta 8 years, 5 with my late husband & 3 on my own trying to sell the apartment, & repatriating his remains home to the UK. My friends were so concerned about my situation, they did a lot on line investigating, & they are very PC friendly. My on line "friend" has now disappeared off line, as I said I would fly to Vienna, 10th to 15th February, for us to finally meet? I was emailed every day, sometimes 2 or 3 times, plus phone calls every day, plus the big box with red roses, a balloon with I Love You on it, also the accompanying card, 1 large box of chocolates, 1 small liqueur chocolates, and a "Peter" Teddy! I still have the box, & it must be traceable, as it has all the references on the delivery box, it is pure chance I still have it, as I live in North Wales, and the days of collections are very strict, so it is in my hall, awaiting the collection day! I do fool foolish, but I am not like these women who have lost a lot of money, as I think this "Peter" guy knew I was a smart lady? What should I do?
Does all the information I have given him over the almost 3 weeks, enable him to do identity theft, & I feel responsible that I should alert someone, to guard and protect other foolish middle aged women? Please Advise, Yours sincerely, ***** ***** Barcas.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 months ago.
Hello, The odds of a romance scammer turning up at your door because he knows your address are near zero. The last thing in the world that a romance scammer wants is to be identified. They woo their victims with false contact information, with a completely fabricated profile and with a picture of someone other than themselves. Sounds like he was setting you up for the "stranded traveler" scam. That's where he claims to be in a foreign country that is neither yours or his for work purposes. He is supposed to meet you but before he can there will be an emergency requiring him to stay longer and to ask you for money to pay his workers and complete his project. This is a lie of course, and they almost always claim to be engineers, architechts or construction supervisors engaged in a government project. Anyway, there is very little he can do with your address and email address, both of which are more or less public records which we all give out to various people all of the time. It's not enough information for him to commit identity theft. To really do damage, he'd need your bank and credit card account numbers, driver's license numbers, passport numbers and sensitive things along those lines. With information like that, he can try to take out loans and get credit in your name and commit identity theft. At worst, you'll get letters and emails with various kinds of scam offers, because scammers always come back in new disguises for another bite of the apple, and they also sell their lists of successful victims to other scammers. You can just ignore these. But nobody is going to show up at your doorstep. We answer questions like yours all of the time and have yet to see that happen. If you're worried about your security, you can turn over what you know about this man to your local police to put them on notice. But as for identity theft, he doesn't have enough unique data to cause damage.
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Good Evening (it is 17.15 hours here)! Thank You, ***** ***** just when I went on the helpline at match.com, I had already given out so much personal information, that I was extremely concerned that I may be the victim of Identity Theft? Yes I think you are 100% correct, as he was complaining that the Austrian Government, were holding back his payments as the contract was not completed etc. etc. However, he was a clever guy, I could tell that, & he knew I was a smart lady with career background! I asked him many pertinent questions regarding his situation, & he came up with the answers! Also, the photographs he used, he was very handsome, & he had a very strong Swedish accent, but his written emails were that of a very well educated person! However, I have been reading that these people often work in a team! So there could be someone typing the emails, I have an excellent memory, & so if there had been discrepancies with regard to the verbal telephone conversations, that were in error in the emails, I would have spotted it? So, I presume my telephone calls were recorded? I have to admit he never actually asked me for money, but I did sense it was leaning towards that, as the last phone call he told me he had been mugged? I then told him, I will fly out for 5 days, 10th-15th February, he said that would be nice, as we could spend Valentines Day evening together! I was to go and check flights, let him know the date/times & he would meet me at the Airport in the company car? From 2/3/4 emails a day, declaring his undying love etc. & at least one phone call per day/evening/night, he has just disappeared? I don't hate him, as he made me feel good again, I joined a slimming club, I had extensive dental treatment carried out, I have my "get up and go" back, I no longer sat crying looking at my late husband's photograph, as I had this "fabulous" guy in my life! Well, they say there is no fool like an old fool, and that is me! However, I am carrying on with my life again now, I bought a house and a shop, (to be Antiques & Collectors) which is what my late husband & I dealt in from our retirement, I will get the show on the road, & another thing this guy loved music, and so do I, but haven't played any since my Peter died, & have all my CD's out again, & music is filling my home again!
So, I carry on regardless, with the rest of my life now!
I lived and worked in Australia, for 2 years, & then Cocoa Beach, Florida, for 3 years, I saw a life rocket launch!
I am just thinking I am OK, I can carry on, & no harm done? Yours sincerely, *****