Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Good Afternoon! well, it has happened exactly as You said it

Good Afternoon! well, it has happened exactly as You said it would, a long email this morning, explaining about funds being low etc. and mugged last week, wallet stolen etc. plus a lot of flattering, which is like water off a ducks back! Do I just ignore this last email, as I have been prepared for 3 weeks now, for it to come? I am going out in 15 minutes, but I am heaving a sigh of relief, as there is always a little part of you left, that hopes it is true?
I can turn off my mobile, and go to use another one, I can ignore the emails, I read yesterday, a woman lost £200.000 to someone she had never even met? Since my husband died, I have been struggling, on a pension, and what savings I have left, are to do house alterations, I am now 70 years of age, but look good, all this guy has done for me is, make me join a slimming club, get my teeth sorted out, and has me playing my music again, which I haven't done since my husband died in 2012! All positive for me! OK took a piece of my heart, but that is repairable, take me a week, to tell myself what an idiot! Mrs. Pam Barcas.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 months ago.
Romance scammers follow a tried and true formula, and once you know the script, you can spot a romance scam from miles away. The bad news is that I'm sure you feel in some way hurt and violated. The good is what you've learned and done for yourself. You won't fall for this sort of thing again. You can block his calls, and block and ignore the emails. There's no point in confronting him. Scammers never admit that they are thieves. He will just get angry and accuse you of a lack of trust or simply disappear. You won't get the closure you want. Meanwhile, don't beat up on yourself. Last year Americans lost $80 million to romance scammers. I don't know the stats for the United Kingdom, but I'm willing to wager that you're in plenty of good company. These romance scammers are professional thieves and they are very, very good at what they do. I wish you the best going forward.
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989