Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Good Morning! After I received "Peter's" last email, which

Good Morning!
After I received "Peter's" last email, which was the one I had been waiting for all along the 3 weeks of "courting! requesting money for help in his Austrian Government Project, I ceased communications with him! However, a few days ago, I received a text from him, which was frightening for me, as I am alone now in this big property! I relocated from Malta just 6 months ago, where I had been living for 8 years, & where my lovely husband died there, in the local supermarket! It said F**k Off Bitch! I then filled in on line a report to National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB) as I realised the phone calls were from within the UK? Not from Austria, made by a Swedish Handsome Architect named Peter Soderberg, but possibly an Eastern European syndicate? I am having a security system installed here at the house, whereby the caller buzzes on street level, I live on 2 floors above the street level, & speaks into an ansaphone! You said you doubted if he would track me down, but what about all the information I have given him in my emails? My full name & maiden name, my address here in the UK? All the photographs of my late husband & I and family members? His "courtship" was very intense, normally it is between 5 to 6 weeks, he went full steam ahead, & did it in 3 weeks? It was obvious I was not a silly naïve woman, as I was a Sales Director of a large London based Glucose Refinery, for 8 years? So do you feel that I have thwarted him in his endeavour to get money from me, and he or they may target me now? Yours sincerely, ***** ***** Mrs.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 months ago.
If you feel vulnerable, then you should report the person to your police so that they are on notice. But frankly, we have never heard of any romance scammers who have turned up on their victim's doorstep seeking reprisals. Most obviously, the success of these scammers and their ability to avoid arrest depends entirely on their not being able to be identified and caught. Coming forward would defeat that whole purpose. Secondly, criminals who commit financial crimes are characteristically non-violent. And finally, without any risk to themselves, they can better spend their time sweeping others off of their feet then investing their energies going after you. Finally, phone calls on mobile phones and on computers can have a UK exchange but be made from anywhere in the world. And commercial software and call forwarding services exist so that even if he called from a landline somewhere, the real origin of the call can be disguised. Romance victims prey on people outside of their own country to avoid detection. So there's no real indication that he's in the UK at all and just as much reason to believe he's not. Again, there's nothing wrong with taking security precautions if you feel vulnerable. It's probably a good idea whether you're a scam victim or not if you're living alone. And you should report this to your local police so they can watch out. But the most that "peter" is likely to do with your information is to send you more scam offers via email, and phone, as scammers change their identity and always come back to their victims in new guises to try to get another bite of the apple.
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989