29905560

I think I'm bein scammed.a girl on facebook asked me to be

Customer Question

I think I'm bein scammed.a girl on facebook asked me to be her friend and I accepted her.we got takin and she asked me did I have Skyoe to see her alone in her room naked to see her breasts.Den she asked to see my private parts. And I stupidly agteed and showed her.i taught it was a bit of fun at first but den within a hour of two she said she had a Youtube video of me showin my priivate part and would send it to all my family and friends of I didn't pay 200 euro through western union to ivory coast.so I stupidly went and did it onlne.I got an email from western union to ring dem wen I had it done so i did and a lady from western union said to cancel it as I told her I taught I Wes bein scamned..but now dis girl I met on facebook wants me to do it on Friday through my local post office through international teanferr or she will start d video to everyone.I don't know what to do can u please help me I'm sacred
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Have you checked your Facebook setting to ensure that your this person is no longer your friend and that your friends list is private?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I deleted her and she sent me a Ms through Skype dat if I don't add her she wull start sending d video so she still a friend
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is d video she set up and said she would start sending if I didn't pay
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are u still dere ben
This is indeed a scam, it is a blackmail scam which is just one of many types of scams on the internet these days. You are basically blackmailed into sending money to prevent an explicit video of you surfacing and being forwarded to your friends or just posted online. There is no easy way out I’m afraid. They have the video and they can post it if they wanted to. Still, you should not send any money – doing so will just encourage them and they may then come back for more and more because they know that you have paid once and are obviously willing to pay again as this is an important thing for you. So by paying you may be getting yourself in further trouble, there is absolutely no guarantee that they will honour what they have promised, take the payment and not post the video and leave you alone – they are fraudsters, they will try their luck as many times as they can and try to get as much out of you as they can. 200 euros is not that much to a scammer, I presume this is only the start. So do not pay any money and try to minimise any potential damage that may occur. This is your basic position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the options you have to try and minimise the chances of any damage occurring, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
5
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please can u advise me wat to do
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello ben
Getting response ready
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok no prob
Thanks. The first thing you should do is remove and block her from any social media accounts you are connected through. You should also ensure that your profiles are not public and that any friends lists are private and only seen by you and your friends. Facebook has such options which can make your profile private. By this you are preventing her from accessing any potential targets they would like to send the video to. Also their aim is to extort money from you, not to embarrass you. So if you cease all contact with them and block them on all social media, when they realise you are no longer going to deal with them, they may just move on to a another target and nothing may come out of it in terms of the threats they made. In the meantime do not accept friends requests from unknown people as they may be the same person posing as someone else. You must also accept the risk that the footage may be posted but as soon as that happens you can request the site hosting it to remove it and they should oblige. In the meantime you can report the scam by following the details here: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/scams
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok but she already has a list of my friends.so can it still be send even when I change my Facebook settings to private and wen I block her.should I get rid of Skype also ben
If she already has a list of friends then yes it is possible to send them but she will have to pick them out one by one and as mentioned the purpose here is to get money from you not to release the footage if no money is sent - their time is better spent targeting new victims rather than embarrassing ones which would not comply. There is no need to get rid of skype, just remove her and block her
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks very much ben if d video is posted to everyone.is dere a way of deletin it
yes as mentioned if it is hosted somewhere, like youtube or facebook then you can ask these sites to remove it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thank u very much ben for all your advise and help.I'll do wat u said straight away and never let dis happen again and never accept a friend requesr unless i know the person
Yes it is unfortunate you ended up in this situation but hopefully by standing your ground and being proactive as mentioned they will just move on
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok tks very much ben.I have learned my lesson the hardway
Sadly it happens but do not beat yourself up about it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok tks very much again ben.It was nice talkiing to u.I can relax now after gettin ure excellent advise.thank u so much.thank god I choose to ask an expert or I would have paid dat money on Friday and got myself into trouble even worse..now that won't happen all because of u.thank u so much
You are welcome, all the best!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well ben I did everything u said but wen I go into recent messages in messagenger in facebook dey are still dere even though I blocked her.
blocking her does not delete messages you have to delete these separately
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok have dat done now also.I suppose I just have to wait and see if d video will be posted.or not.
I am afraid so
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can live with dat rather than looseing loads of money.tank u again for all ure help.I can sleep well now knowing dat I didn't let dem get d better of me.
You are welcome
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nice talkin to u ben have a gud nite
Many thanks you too