29905560

I have received an email from action fraud saying that they

I have received an email from action fraud saying that they cannot pursue my case. I have emails that prove categorically that an on line publisher has taken my £400 without anything in return. He actually admits that he owes me the money, surely there should be way that I can have money refunded. Can I take him to the small claims court?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

When did you pay the money?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Last September 2015
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am using my tablet. To send the files I need to transfer to my computer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can you send the email then I can transfer to my computer?

Hi there, no need to send the files over. The reason AF may have decided they cannot help is if they see this as a civil matter, which it most likely is. So in the circumstances it is indeed possible to pursue the matter through the small claims court as this is a breach of contract issue more than anything else. The debt is well within time to be pursued through the courts so if you wanted to go down that route you may do so.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps yu need to follow in order to take the matter further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
5 star please.

Thank you. Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. I shall proceed with your advice.

You are welcome, best of luck.

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'