Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have reported a fraud to action fraud police but I cannot

I have reported a fraud to action fraud police but I cannot contact them through my crime number. I gave the bank details of the person who scammed me out of £3300,but they have refused to give me the address or contact number of the account holder. How do I proceed to get my money back
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Are you online at this time?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
on my mobile
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.

Banks do not give up account holder information without a court order. You would need to consult with a local solicitor. If you wanted to take legal action against the account holder, he should ultimately be able to get that information.

I don't know the details of your particular scam, and the word "scam" is used pretty loosely. Most internet scammers lie about all of their contact information and they prey on victims from outside of their own country in order to confound the efforts of the victim's law enforcement authority. For that reason, the overwhelming number of internet scammers get completely away with their crime.

If you have sent your money to a UK bank account that bank account is a lead that the UK authorities can check out. You can call ActionFraud and give them the bank information. They are at 0300(###) ###-#### If you've already tried that and they won't speak to you about the investigation, hiring a private investigator or dealing with a local solicitor are your only remaining options.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Looks like I've lost my money
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.

Unfortunately, yes, unless the authorities can find out who and where the scammers really are and bring them to justice.

I would love to be able to give you better news, but this is the harsh reality of online scam.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks anyway
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.

You're welcome.

Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989