Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I had an email from a company called jpn logistics regarding

I had an email from a company called jpn logistics regarding a vacancy I had applied for they have subsequently offered me a position but said I would have to get a background check completed with a company called www.smartchecks.com I am worried to know if this is a fraudulant website
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

Any unsolicited job offer that comes your way via email is a scam. Smartchecks is simply a way to get personal identifying data from you so that these thieves can commit identity theft.

The site's WHOIS indicates that the IP address for Smartchecks traces to Hong Kong and that the site has only been running since October 2015. It is going to expire in 4 more months, and is clearly up and running just to serve a fraudulent purpose. Its webhost is very inexpensive and is favored by scammers and the so called site owner is an anonymous person in Ontario, Canada.

Walk away from this and if you have used Smartchecks and given out information about yourself having to do with bank, credit card, passport, or other highly sensitive information, take all precautions against identity theft.

All of these complaints are about unsolicited so-called job offers at jpn logistics.

Walk away from the job. The company is not for real and you will not be breaking any contract. Report the job scam to Actionfraud.police.uk

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thankyou very much I need to get in touch with action fraud now
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

You're welcome. Unsolicited jobs like this are usually check processing or reshipping frauds. Either way, the victim is unwittingly helping foreign thieves to launder their stolen money. You can lose a lot of money and end up being prosecuted besides.

A good rule of thumb is that anything unsolicited that comes your way offering you something that is too good to be true will be a fraud. Keep that in mind in your future internet dealings and you'll be much safer.

Please take the time to rate my service before leaving the site as that is the only way that I can get credit for my work.

Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989