PaulB
PaulB, Other
Experience:  PaulB
25355611

I received the following email from e-Bay this morning and

Customer Question

Hi there,
am quite perplexed. I have NEVER USED e-Bay for any type
of transaction and yet they are saying that I'm abusing it.
I've tried to "reply" and am waiting for an answer from them.
I "seriously doubt" that I will get an answer.Does anyone know what's going on?Sincerely,
DMBPs. The following is a copy and paste from the email I
received:From: "eBay Customer Support"
Subject: FPA NOTICE: eBay Registration Suspension - User Agreement - Abusing eBay -
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 02:46:44 -0500Dear eBay Member,Your account will be suspended under the "Abusing eBay" section of the
eBay User Agreement. This section states that eBay may suspend a user's
account if we think that the user is creating problems (legal or
otherwise) or
acting inconsistently with the letter or spirit of our policies.To have your account considered for reinstatement, please fax us both
of the following:- Copy of your driver's license or other government issued ID with your
name and address clearly visible
- Copy of a recent credit card statement (copy of the actual credit
card is not acceptable)
- Copy of a recent bank statement
- Copy of a recent utility bill***Important***
All contact information listed on the documents that you submit with
your appeal must be consistent with the contact information listed on
your registered eBay account. If any differences exist, you must
provide an explanation for these discrepancies, as well as
documentation that
confirms your explanation.If your eBay contact information is your work address, please send
official documentation to validate this.***Important***
If your fax doesn't contain this information, we won't be able to
process it.Please fax all documentation to:eBay
Attention: Abusing eBay AppealsU.S. Fax Number: 1-***-***-****Please allow 48 to 72 hours for your request for appeal to be
processed. Sending us an email before that time may delay your request.***Privacy Note***
Any documents submitted to us will be destroyed after the information
has been reviewed and verified. However, your full name and address
must be legible for us to process your request.Thank you for your time.Sincerely,Chance
eBay Customer Support
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  PaulB replied 6 months ago.

This is more than likely a scam I'm afraid.

Expert:  PaulB replied 6 months ago.

From Ebay:

I am a regular user of e-bay services. The copy of the e-mail that you sent is from a phishing site. While the address looks like it is from Ebay, if you right click on it and go to properties, you will find that that it actually is not an E-bay address. You can also send a copy to ebay and they will probably verify that it is a scam. The real clincher is that it is asking for personal information, ebay never sends out stuff like this. Also it does not address you by user name. All of my correspondence from ebay starts out. Dear (EbayUserName).

When you get something that says dear (E-Bay or other OnlineReseller) member, beware. Also when I go into myebay and check messages, I will find the same message duplicated.

Again, I am 100% sure that this is a scam. I have seen it time and again. When I was new to this type of fraud, I was at my folks home and Earthlink was telling them that they had not received payment and that they should contact them by email and give them personal information. I am a computer person with moderately high experience with the internet, and the email was so professional looking, I almost bought it. We contacted Earthlink (by phone using a published phone number) and they verified the fraudulent nature of the message.

Because you were so bothered by the email, you may have complied (I hope not) and sent them personal information. If you did you may want to seek more professional information (like ebay security, I do not claim to be giving you professional advise). You will probably be advised to look out for identity theft type attacks against you.

Good Luck

PaulB, Other
Experience: PaulB