Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have Skypeing a man called Fritz menns. Birth dates

Customer Question

I have Skypeing a man called Fritz menns for months. Birth dates 4-2-1954. Said in lives in Carbondale. Land line(###) ###-#### ***** saint albans New York. But today I have now receive on Skype a different name calling himself Michael smitch. I am thinking that I have been scams. Because Fritz has changed his name, but because I have told Fritz all about myself he knows all about me where I live my phone number. Because he said he was going over to England.so I am not sure if I am being coned. Because i have allready been coned by another man who was on skype the first and he cond over £200 from me now his name was gerdt koranteng born 22-3-1955.. said he was a millary commodore i the army.. i am 73years old i have lived on my own since my husband pass away 2010..please can you tell me if both of these men are con men. June ellis email is***@******.***
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.

There is NEVER any legitimate reason for someone who has been romancing you on line but whom you have never met in person to ask you for money. A money request, no matter how good that reason sounds to you, is the #1 sign of a romance scam. As soon as an online romance asks you for money, you should cease all contact, report him to the police and move on.

You would know that if a total stranger spoke to you on the street, told you he loved you and asked you for money. You'd probably call the cops on him. It's exactly the same on the web. You never really know who someone is until you meet them in person. Until then, they are really only strangers, and strangers don't borrow money from other strangers.

A reverse search of all public records via a commercial background service shows me that there has never been anyone by the name of Fritz Menns who has ever lived anywhere in the US. I am attaching a screen shot of my findings. There is one person named Michael Smitch who lives in New York, but his address and phone number are different than the ones you gave me and it's clearly not the same man. I will attach that too.

So this person is lying to you and he doesn't check out. If he hasn't asked you for money yet, he's going to. He'll get to "England" or so he'll say, and have an emergency there that will require more of your money. Because that's what scammers do. And that's all they really care about.

If you have photos of these men, please upload them to this thread with your response, and I may be able to give you more information.

But I am convinced they are scammers.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.