Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I wish to contact Apturo. They gave me an address in

Customer Question

I wish to contact Apturo. They gave me an address in Cardington Place London. I cannot find any thing there. The telephone number given to me by their agent is false.
Any ideas please.
Alan *************
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

Do you have a website for Apturo? What was your relationship with the company? What services were they to do for you and what were you supposed to do in return.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have been a customer of theirs for about 18 months. Regularly an Indian engineer ***** ***** would contact me and sort out any computer problems using software called "Teamviewer" which enabled him to check my systems. Until 9th June I had no problems but on that date he advised that "hackers" had been trying to get into my computer and he would need to take possession to clear up matters. I allowed him into Teamviewer and he also wanted me to open my bank account because it was infected. That was my mistake!! He took all my credit from the account and even put my account into debt since my bank allowed, without my permission, an overdraft. The first I knew of this was when I got a text from the bank agreeing to the overdraft. I immediately telephoned them and reported the fraud but, according to them, the money had already been taken out of he account. This amounted to several thousand pounds. James rang me two days later to ask if all was well and told him no! He denies being at work on that date. He called back a day or so later saying that a former manager (now left the company) had been traced and it was he who conducted the fraud. He said that I would get my money back. To date nothing! The name of the company is Apturo with an address in Cardington Place, London; he gave me his personal telephone number which I have tried but it is "unrecognisable". I have changed passwords etc for my bank account and cancelled credit cards as a precaution. Can you help me trace this company please.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have to go now; bed time!!! Perhaps you can e mail me your response.***@******.***
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. I cannot email you as that's a premium service requiring an extra fee, but the site should send you an email alerting you that your answer is waiting for you on the question thread.

Unfortunately, you have fallen for a well-known computer scam. It occurs when you receive unsolicited contact from a computer tech company. Typically. they tell you that there's malware in your computer and claim an affiliation with Microsoft so that you trust them. Typically also, the person you deal with is a foreigner, most often with this scam, from India.

In reality, what they do is take a perfectly healthy computer and charge you a fee to install software that actually creates new problems for you. The scam is all about getting you to give them remote access. With that, they can hack your computer and do exactly what they did to you.

The people who commit a crime like this are professional thieves and when you go to them to try to get further assistance and a refund, they do neither and typically just disappear on you. That's when you discover, as you did, that the company isn't really who, what or where it says it is.

It's hard to trace something that never really existed in the first place. There is no real computer company. There are scam reports on this company on the web and others have done all of the homework. You can find out more about this here.

On the scam report I sent you, the person who posted it was able to get his money back from his bank and explains how he did that. But don't expect anything from Apturo, since you'll never really find them unless/until law enforcement finds out who and where they really are and brings them to justice. You need to report the fraud to your local police and to Actionfraud.police.uk

You also need to take your computer in to a local tech service you can see and trust and have them debug your computer, which has been compromised. After that, change all of your PIN numbers and passwords.

Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't think that there is any thing I can do. I have been scamed. I will write to my bank and see if they will be prepared to refund the money they paid out thereby putting me in overdraft mode. Some thing I have never done the whole time I have been with them. I propose to put an item Facebook warning others. I have already advised the police.
Thanks for your help. Alan
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

Yes, along with reporting the crime, you can post about your experience on Facebook and elsewhere to warn others so they won't have your experience.

There are many sites on the web that exist just to warn of scammers. Some of these are ripoffreports.com, scambook.com, scamdex.com and scamadviser.com, just to name a few.